Light Recommendations - NUVO 200 INT Peninsula

craftbrews

Beer-a-pod
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks,

Wife's new NUVO 200INT peninsula tank just arrived. She's looking at an SPS dominant tank.

Dimensions are roughly 70"x30"x20".

If you were optimizing for color and growth what would you put on this tank?

PXL_20210111_173043223.jpg

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t go wrong with LED/T5 hybrid. Not sure they make a hybrid fixture beyond 5ft though but there are plenty of ways to do it. Can’t wait to see it with water! What other equipment are you running?

OP
OP
craftbrews

craftbrews

Beer-a-pod
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t go wrong with LED/T5 hybrid. Not sure they make a hybrid fixture beyond 5ft though but there are plenty of ways to do it. Can’t wait to see it with water! What other equipment are you running?

I run an AI T5 Hybrid fixture with a Photon V2 50 on our 160g in the front room. Works great but the wife doesn't want something suspended from ceiling. Might look at a 80/20 mount.

I'm most worried about spread on this tank since the width is 30" and most fixtures lose even par distribution at 24".

Last edited:

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a AI T5 Hybrid fixture with a Photon V2 50 on our 160g in the front room. Works great but the wife doesn't want something suspended from ceiling. Might look at a 80/20 mount.

I'm most worried about spread on this tank since the width is 30" and most fixtures lose even par distribution at 24".
Have you considered a floating canopy? Also given the width of the tank (as an example) you might be better off purchasing 8 XR15s rather than 4 XR30s. You could also look at the Orphek fixtures although they’re quite pricy. I see a lot of people running those on wider systems like yours. Reefbreeders would be good too if you got a bunch of the 24 inch fixtures

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for the same 72" peninsula lighting solution, no overhead wires allowed. But my spread concerns are different because I do not want spread past the 24" width of the tank.

OP
OP
craftbrews

craftbrews

Beer-a-pod
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking we might pick up 6x Radion XR15s and then do some sort of spread like this since the tank is wider:

PXL_20210112_010741729.jpg

Do people like the Pros or Blues more? Which make colors on SPS pop most?

I'm also toying with the idea of Photon V2s that are mounted higher:

PXL_20210112_010750281.jpg

OP
OP
craftbrews

craftbrews

Beer-a-pod
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

All sorts of lessons learned from the first tank!

Sump: Trigger Platinum 39 w/ Fleece Roller
Return: COR20
Controller: Apex
Testing: Trident
AWC: Apex DOS
ATO: Apex ATO Kit
Lights: TBD (this thread is the deciding factor!)
UV: 120watt Lifegard 3"
Powerheads: TBD (leaning towards MaxSpec Gyre on far end and Tunze on return wall)
Skimmer: Deltec 1000
Carbon Reactor: BRS Carbon Reactor
Calc Reactor: TBD (months away from needing this - but maybe Geo? or Deltec?)
Heater: 2x 600w BRS w/ Inkbird controller

My wife did that scape with the Gluemasters thin + sand and it turned out pretty neat too (i'm convinced when we add water it's going to disintegrate, though!!)

OP
OP
craftbrews

craftbrews

Beer-a-pod
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered a floating canopy? Also given the width of the tank (as an example) you might be better off purchasing 8 XR15s rather than 4 XR30s. You could also look at the Orphek fixtures although they’re quite pricy. I see a lot of people running those on wider systems like yours. Reefbreeders would be good too if you got a bunch of the 24 inch fixtures

We talked about a canopy, she veto'd it. She wants it to look clean and low profile like it's floating out of the wall.

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All sorts of lessons learned from the first tank!

Sump: Trigger Platinum 39 w/ Fleece Roller
Return: COR20
Controller: Apex
Testing: Trident
AWC: Apex DOS
ATO: Apex ATO Kit
Lights: TBD (this thread is the deciding factor!)
UV: 120watt Lifegard 3"
Powerheads: TBD (leaning towards MaxSpec Gyre on far end and Tunze on return wall)
Skimmer: Deltec 1000
Carbon Reactor: BRS Carbon Reactor
Calc Reactor: TBD (months away from needing this - but maybe Geo? or Deltec?)
Heater: 2x 600w BRS w/ Inkbird controller

My wife did that scape with the Gluemasters thin + sand and it turned out pretty neat too (i'm convinced when we add water it's going to disintegrate, though!!)
That’s a nice setup! Not familiar with the glue but hope it work! The Tunze wave boxes are so nice. Never had an appropriate tank for them though. Do you use the Apex as a fail safe for the inkbird?

OP
OP
craftbrews

craftbrews

Beer-a-pod
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a nice setup! Not familiar with the glue but hope it work! The Tunze wave boxes are so nice. Never had an appropriate tank for them though. Do you use the Apex as a fail safe for the inkbird?

Yea - Inkbird holds tank at 78. Apex turns off the outlet if >80.

Manage to squeak by with just fans swamp cooling inside the sump but i'm nervous about this summer.

I'm also nervous about the larger UV on this NUVO 200INT and whether or not we'll need a chiller.. Future us problems!

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea - Inkbird holds tank at 78. Apex turns off the outlet if >80.

Manage to squeak by with just fans swamp cooling inside the sump but i'm nervous about this summer.

I'm also nervous about the larger UV on this NUVO 200INT and whether or not we'll need a chiller.. Future us problems!
I’d say if you can somehow vent the stand and keep some fans going you should be fine. The downside of a chiller is it’s an endless cycle of heating up the stand from chiller use which uses a lot of energy

Bato367

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks,

Wife's new NUVO 200INT peninsula tank just arrived. She's looking at an SPS dominant tank.

Dimensions are roughly 70"x30"x20".

If you were optimizing for color and growth what would you put on this tank?

PXL_20210111_173043223.jpg
I didn't know that IM made a large peninsula! Sweet tank, congratulations.

flourishofmediocrity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that the wattage lifegard recommend for your setup, or are you just going for shock and awe? I looked at pentair and for the ~330G my system will be it said their 50 watt should be enough.

OP
OP
craftbrews

craftbrews

Beer-a-pod
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to Lifegard: For Protozoa control you need 180,000 µW/cm2 and they recommend cutting their 30,000 algae sterilization flowrate by 1/6th.

If I want to have the ability to control virus/protozoa then I need 3x tank turnover. So the max the 120w can push is 666 per hour which is roughly 3x tank for this NUVO 200INT.

flourishofmediocrity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to Lifegard: For Protozoa control you need 180,000 µW/cm2 and they recommend cutting their 30,000 algae sterilization flowrate by 1/6th.

If I want to have the ability to control virus/protozoa then I need 3x tank turnover. So the max the 120w can push is 666 per hour which is roughly 3x tank for this NUVO 200INT.
Wow those are much more affordable than the pentair.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@craftbrews I realize your tank is 25% wider than mine (30 vs 24), but I decided on two 32" Photon V2+ linked end-to-end. My decision for 2x32 instead of 1x50 was influenced by recommendations from Reef Breeders, even though BRS says 1x50 is sufficient for Mixed Reef on a 6' tank.

OP
OP
craftbrews

craftbrews

Beer-a-pod
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@craftbrews I realize your tank is 25% wider than mine (30 vs 24), but I decided on two 32" Photon V2+ linked end-to-end. My decision for 2x32 instead of 1x50 was influenced by recommendations from Reef Breeders, even though BRS says 1x50 is sufficient for Mixed Reef on a 6' tank.

You running T5's on the sides of those? How is SPS grow out? We run a Photo V2+ 50 on the 160g with T5s and it's got some really beefy PAR output.

I am not 100% sure of how the coloration is turning out, though. The PAR was actually so high near the top of the tank that a few of the SPS in our 160g were bleaching. We started only running the Photon V2+ for 4 hours per day.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 31 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back