Light spread and manufacturers

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do companies like Ecotech the largest sellers of higher end LEDs continue to bring out nrw models that don't meet the needs of many when it comes to reducing shading, they just play with it IMO.
Panel lights IMO are the way to go but few companies provide them Orphek and ATI being perhaps the best known. Why is that, what arent Ecotech and others following ATI and Orpheks lead. After all Orphek panel lights aren't new and at least ATI have seen the light (pun intended)

Diffusers do not bend light only mix the colours and spread from the source point. Spreading the LEDs out on a panel is the way to reduce shading or adding suplimentry light like light bars to reduce shading.

However, even on the reef coral branches will over grow the lower branches depriving them of the light they need. In practice we can only do so much to reduce shading and even with Orpheks and ATI panel lights with a heavy growth of coral there will inevitably be shading but of course less than the puck type.

I have 2 x Atkantic V4s with 2 x 120 Orphek light bars at the front angled front to back as a supliment. This reduces shading even more and is probably as good as it gets to reduce shading. I also have diffusers in my Atlantic's as they are only 10" off the waters surface. The trade off is I have to turm up my Atlantics to compensate for the reduced PAR.

20211108_182517.jpg
20211012_141244.jpg
20210723_170318.jpg

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm only speculating here, but I think cost and "if it ain't broke..." play roles in their decisions.
Look at what Ecotech charges for an XR30. If they made it bigger, I'm guessing it might be an issue of cost.
As far as my other point, if they are selling plenty with their current offering, they may not see the need to develop a larger panel light.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm only speculating here, but I think cost and "if it ain't broke..." play roles in their decisions.
Look at what Ecotech charges for an XR30. If they made it bigger, I'm guessing it might be an issue of cost.
As far as my other point, if they are selling plenty with their current offering, they may not see the need to develop a larger panel light.
I understand that however, ATI and Orphek arent6in it to loose money plus are these 2 taking sales away from the others, I suggest they are Ecotech are the big players and they should be at the forefront of development with new designs

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that the puck lights are an issue but I don't think panels are the answer either. Each LED has a narrow bandwidth and spreading them out causes other issues. I actually think the answer is in reflectors, maybe something like a Kessil puck but one pointed down into the tank and another pointed up into a reflector similar to a MH reflector. Or round kind of like a MH 250 Watt with a reflector. I think the real issue is that we are not addressing that LEDs are point lights but we keep treating them like MHs which are really point with reflections. No one I know of runs MH without a good reflector.

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plenty of hobbyists have success with Radions. I do agree individual pucks are an issue but Ecotech is working around that as demonstrated with the latest Gen fixtures. Most reefers are not willing to spend $1200+ on a single fixture. Many successfully reduce shading by throwing on a few reef brites.

Shading is really only an issue for those who keep SPS which the average hobbyist does not dabble in.

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aesthetics also plays a role. In my option, those Orphek, Neptune, ATI lights are just not attractive.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aesthetics also plays a role. In my option, those Orphek, Neptune, ATI lights are just not attractive.
In he eyes of the beholder. I think Orpheks are as good as most. I have had evergrows Radions and Hydras all of which I find less attractive than my Orpheks and are better lights with it.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back