Lightening Maroon Clown Tank

emilybell1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m about to receive two small lightening maroon clowns from Dr. Reef and I’ve been reading lately that anemones can make them more territorial. They will be the only fish in my rbta tank which currently has 3 nems. One has been splitting monthly. Is there anything I can do to help them pair up? I’m hoping with more and more nems added it won’t cause too much aggression over one specific one? Thanks!

drebay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @emilybell1 wanted to see how it went if you added the two lightening maroons. Reading through on a similar topic and it’s sounding a bit risky if they are similar sizes.

OP
OP
emilybell1

emilybell1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @emilybell1 wanted to see how it went if you added the two lightening maroons. Reading through on a similar topic and it’s sounding a bit risky if they are similar sizes.
I ended up being sent 4 maroons and tried various combos of them using all different techniques to get them to pair but it didn’t work. I eventually gave up and ordered 2 that were already paired up from pacific east aquaculture. They have been happily together for almost a year. One is about 3 times the size of the other at this point but fairly close in size when I received them.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've successfully paired maroons 3 times. I always start with one female or one small one and wait untill it turns female. I then get the smallest one I can find, preferably one that is being harassed and and not fighting back if it's in a tank with a bunch of others. This tells me it should still be male. I then place it in the tank inside a specimen container so the female can check him out. I only leave him in the container for a day or so then release and keep fingers crossed. I have had better luck with older mature females. Not sure why unless it's because they may have already had a mate at some point but it can be done with younger females too. They just seem to harass the males longer. The last time the female wouldn't even look at the male in the container so I just dumped him in 10 minutes later courtship complete. I like maroons because I always have nems and unlike some of the captive bred smaller clowns maroons have always hosted in them. They do like to rearrange thinks to their liking tho which can be a problem if you have a lot of corals.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back