Lighting 4 65 gallon LPS & softies

death-by-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got parent permission to plan a tank (65g) and if i gave them a good plan, they would get it for me for Christmas, but i wouldn't get any presents for my birthday from them. I'm trying to keep it under 750$ (900$ max) and i cant find light that would fight it without sending my estimate out the window. I was originally considering AI primes cause i had here'd good things about them, and then realized they were like 400$ and i would need at least 2 to 4. Does anyone have suggestions for reef lights for LPS and softies that wont ave me robbing a bank to pay for them?

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to spend a lot of money on top gear. I bought the best stuff when I started out. There is nothing wrong with some of the lower cost items. For example I use to use Tunze powerheads ($220 each). Love them but I can get the same function out of the newer models of Jebao powerheads for half that. Lights you can use https://noopsychereeflight.com/products/k7-pro-iii for softies, LPS and SPS. Don't over spend please

Sump you can do a DIY with a Aqueon tank and baffle kit. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/29-gallon-standard-sump-baffle-kit-fiji-cube.html Get the tank on 50% sale at Petco. Usually happens every 8 weeks and some caulk from Home depot/Lowes. It very easy.

1664224968514.png

Last edited:

Garpgarp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're on a tight budget don't be afraid to go Chinese or second hand for lighting.

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also is the finnex titanium heater a good heater?
That one is rated 70-130g. You are looking to get a 65g display tank. No need for such a large heater. You want to get two heaters that are rated for approx 50. If one heater fails the other one will be a backup. Plus you will have a return pump which will generate heat too. My heaters are nothing special... from Petco and Amazon.

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you get this project rolling PM me your address and I'll send a finex heater controller out to you free of charge. I have a few laying around collecting dust. Not new but totally functional. Assuming your in the US ;)
@exnisstech that is sooo sweet of you! Controller is needed to operate Titanium Tube. I would personally do two 300 watt heaters if I did the Finex.

OP
OP
death-by-reef

death-by-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to spend a lot of money on top gear. I bought the best stuff when I started out. There is nothing wrong with some of the lower cost items. For example I use to use Tunze powerheads ($220 each). Love them but I can get the same function out of the newer models of Jebao powerheads for half that. Lights you can use https://noopsychereeflight.com/products/k7-pro-iii for softies, LPS and SPS. Don't over spend please

Sump you can do a DIY with a Aqueon tank and baffle kit. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/29-gallon-standard-sump-baffle-kit-fiji-cube.html Get the tank on 50% sale at Petco. Usually happens every 8 weeks and some caulk from Home depot/Lowes. It very easy.

1664224968514.png
that does look easy, do i need filter socks, I've heard there a pain to clean.

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that does look easy, do i need filter socks, I've heard there a pain to clean.
It comes with filter socks to put in when you order the kit.; It's not at all difficult to clean. I'll give anyone an Italian smack if they say it is. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

patricia heaton dont want it GIF by HULU

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the dimensions the new 65 gallon? There are tons of lighting options under 700 bucks. Are you wanting LED for sure? What features are needed for the light?

AI Primes are 249 (used to be 219, darnit). 2 or 3 of those would have you under or slightly over budget. But those might not be the best option, depending on the tank's dimensions.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second the Noopsyche lights, the actual lighting is excellent they just lack some of the features of more expensive brands (they are still fully programmable). Two of them at $209 a piece (includes mounting hardware) would allow you to keep pretty much anything. They’re much better than any of the Amazon light brands (Nicrew, Viparspectra, etc), they’re nearly identical in terms of spectrum, spread, and intensity as the G4 Radion XR30.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back