Lighting a prostar 230 gallon.

Hyyeguy123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering the reefbreeders photon v2+ for my new 230 gallon prostar tank. However I'm not sure if I should do 2 of the 36" lights or one of the 50" lights. What would you guys recommend?

Jimbo7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this same debate and ended up going 2 of the 36" photon v2+ over my 210 gallon and love the look. I don't have any coral in there yet to confirm performance but its the combination the owner of reefbreeders recommends.

OP
OP
Hyyeguy123

Hyyeguy123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this same debate and ended up going 2 of the 36" photon v2+ over my 210 gallon and love the look. I don't have any coral in there yet to confirm performance but its the combination the owner of reefbreeders recommends.
Thanks for the reply! Do you have any photos of your setup? Does the light bleed out of the tank?

Jimbo7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
During the day you definitely don't notice much spill, but at night it definitely makes the room glow. I just have mine sitting on top for now but I'm eventually considering putting them in a full or partial canopy to reduce some spill. Bulk Reef Supply did a spotlight video on these where they tested them at a lot of different heights to get the best PAR, IIRC their best performance is at 18" which is definitely going to make some light spill.

Attachments

• 1616182402070.png
    1616182402070.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 44

NaplesReefMom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering the reefbreeders photon v2+ for my new 230 gallon prostar tank. However I'm not sure if I should do 2 of the 36" lights or one of the 50" lights. What would you guys recommend?
Hello :) I am looking to upgrade my 90 gallon tank to your tank. Do you love it? What are the pro's and con's? The reef store was a little vague. Is it 180 gallons in the tank and 50 gallons in the sump? how many guys did it take to deliver it into your house? Thank you!

OP
OP
Hyyeguy123

Hyyeguy123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello :) I am looking to upgrade my 90 gallon tank to your tank. Do you love it? What are the pro's and con's? The reef store was a little vague. Is it 180 gallons in the tank and 50 gallons in the sump? how many guys did it take to deliver it into your house? Thank you!
Super late reply! I haven't been on here in a while. I love the tank. I only just finally finished getting it set up this past week. It's great because it's a beautiful large plug and play setup essentially. Comes with a pre-built sump, already plumbed, stand is pre-built, and it is absolutely stunning. Great quality. Easy to adjust feet for leveling, super clear thick glass, lots of space underneath.

I modified my sump by removing the filter sock section and replacing it with a bubble magus roller filter mat. I'm still tweaking the system before I add any livestock. I can get you pics of the setup if you'd like.

It's my understanding the price has increased quite a bit on the prostar lineup recently. Unfortunate, not that the quality isn't worth it, but the lower price made it a much more affordable option for more budget oriented reefers trying to get into large systems. Now that it's went up, I'm not sure the prostar lineup is necessarily worth it when compared to waterbox or redsea.

When it's delivered, it comes on a semi inside of a 40+ft enclosed trailer. They will not move it from the spot they take it off the dolly. So it'll sit in your driveway or garage until you hire a team, or get some friends over to help move the giant setup. I believe it's around 700lbs between the stand and tank. Around 450 for the tank and 250 for the stand if I remember.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back