Lighting Advice - Carpet Anemone

Reef GE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently I added ocellaris clowns to my DT. In a few minutes, my carpet anemone caught two of these and pulled them in. One managed to escape. The other became lunch! I wrote about this in a previous thread.

My question is this: Due to the fact that I no longer want to lose clownfish to my carpet, I have removed the anemone for now and have him in my quarantine tank. (35 gal). How effective would it be to keep my carpet in that setup on a permanent basis? No skimmer, only a hang on back filter (Seachem55) with some bio filtration inside. Glass bottom tank - no sand, gravel, etc. I also have some chaeto growing in the corner to help with nitrates, phosphates. I have no other fish in there for now, so very light bio load. I'd like to allow my clowns to grow up a bit and then reintroduce a couple of saddlebacks into the QT to see if two of them can host the anemone and remain in that set up as a permanent "nano" tank.

Carpets are difficult per textbook descriptions, but if the bioload is minimal, will I have a problem housing him in a 35 gallon set up? He is 8-10" in size.

Second question...what lighting needs are necessary in that size tank? My DT has RedSea LED90's but I have nothing other than a typical fluorescent bulb over the QT. For the moment, I'm running a cheap, low watt, LED agro-light with some red/blue/UV spectrums to give at least some spectrum.

What relatively inexpensive lighting options do I have for this tank (35.5 in length) that would be sufficiently powerful for a carpet to thrive in? Please don't give me a lecture on the fact that nothing in this hobby is inexpensive. I already know that, but due to current budget concerns, a surprisingly aggressive carpet, and the need to get acquire something quickly to compensate while I figure out what to do with him, I'm looking into "lower" budget options for lighting that could also work for the long term.

Options must be able to fit on a 35" tank.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO it can be kept in that tank OK. I have 35+ RFA in a 16g tank with a HOB filter, in-tank skimmer and a Photon V2 light fixture. These are easier to keep, but they are even breeding!

A 32" black box fixture from Mars Aqua or Viparspectra should be more than enough.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back