Lighting and algae

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I recently read somewhere that keeping green lights running will inhibit algae growth as the green is not absorbed by the algae, is this correct? Trying to get rid of green hair algae and it’s winning!

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I recently read somewhere that keeping green lights running will inhibit algae growth as the green is not absorbed by the algae, is this correct? Trying to get rid of green hair algae and it’s winning!
You want to run blues and UV, no whites and minimal green red for 6 hours a day if you have corals and get your parameters in check because they cause your GHA.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want to run blues and UV, no whites and minimal green red for 6 hours a day if you have corals and get your parameters in check because they cause your GHA.
This.
Also, the nutrients in your tank are just as much of a culprit as your lighting, maybe even more.

If you're having GHA issues, pull out as much as you can by hand. Scrub rocks. Siphon out the GHA. Turbo snails will mow it down, but only if it is very short.

OP
OP
Doglips56

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both for the clarification! Nutrients got out of control over the summer when I was hospitalized for 5 weeks but really getting them under control now, Mangroves are helping a lot too. I usually run blues only except the last hour of “moonlight” that has a little red. We haven’t been running our UV sterilizer at all but will restart it. Thank you!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Green is low impact whereas red is supportive of chaeto and macroalgae via photochrome receptors for zooxanthellae.
Red light causes algae in reef tanks. In a reef tank, corals regulate photosynthesis by using red light but realize that too much red light can negatively affect coral's ability to regulate their photosynthesis process.

OP
OP
Doglips56

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green is low impact whereas red is supportive of chaeto and macroalgae via photochrome receptors for zooxanthellae.
Red light causes algae in reef tanks. In a reef tank, corals regulate photosynthesis by using red light but realize that too much red light can negatively affect coral's ability to regulate their photosynthesis process.
I have very little red running, generally only in the “moonlight” phase. I had changed all of my lighting before dismantling my 125 and had lost much of my coral. Do you think I should slightly increase the amount of red I have going. The only lights I currently have that contain reds are Current USA Orbit lights. I have one black box Reef Breeders light but it only has a blue and a white channel. I’ve just recently added two polyps to try out, one Zia and one utter chaos. Previously on my 125 I’d been running Noopsyche lights but I sold them so starting over

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have very little red running, generally only in the “moonlight” phase. I had changed all of my lighting before dismantling my 125 and had lost much of my coral. Do you think I should slightly increase the amount of red I have going. The only lights I currently have that contain reds are Current USA Orbit lights. I have one black box Reef Breeders light but it only has a blue and a white channel. I’ve just recently added two polyps to try out, one Zia and one utter chaos. Previously on my 125 I’d been running Noopsyche lights but I sold them so starting over
The little red contained in current strips are safe
Tough bind with lighting
A couple of Ai Hydra 26 or 32 would be ideal

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back