Lighting and Heat

StikHedRon

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 17, 2012
Messages
931
Reaction score
171
Location
Central Illinois
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm planning out my next build and I have MH now and was planning on running MH/T5/LED's on my new build, but I seen the Pacific Sun Diuna and those are sweet. I would be using the 10x 80W fixture. But my question is do T5's put as much heat in the tank as MH do?
 
I've not used MH so I can't really compare but I'm pretty sure that they run hotter than T5's. I have 4 T5's with reflectors over a 65 gallon tank....the light has a built in fan so I'm sure that probably helps but I don't seem to have trouble with it causing elevated temps in my tank.
 
T-5 will run cooler than mh. Leds are the way to go though.
 
Thanks guys, I might be leaning towards just T5's on this next build.... I'm a stick head and seems T5's are on top of a lot of sweet SPS tanks.
 
Your other option is to do a custom light set up. LEDs + T5s.

My recent light fixture build consist of RapidLED Onyx fixtures and 4 T5s. T5s are the main lights and the LEDs are the kicker, main for royal blues and colors (UV, red, & greens).
 
There more leds you use the more heaters you'll add that's why I think it's best to use a combination of Lighting no matter what you'll end up running a high electric bill
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new