Lighting and Skimmer Suggestions

Gary Endler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been out of the saltwater fish world for over 10 years and I am now finally back. I have purchased the Red Sea 525 XL Aquarium and now looking into lighting and a skimmer. My ultimate goal is to have a mix of corals and fish. I am not looking for the best of the best right now, I just want need a light(s) and skimmer to get the tank up and running. I would prefer to upgrade as I get more involved and experienced. Please tell me your thoughts and/or any experiences with the equipment you use. Thank you in advance.

Srlopez2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been out of the saltwater fish world for over 10 years and I am now finally back. I have purchased the Red Sea 525 XL Aquarium and now looking into lighting and a skimmer. My ultimate goal is to have a mix of corals and fish. I am not looking for the best of the best right now, I just want need a light(s) and skimmer to get the tank up and running. I would prefer to upgrade as I get more involved and experienced. Please tell me your thoughts and/or any experiences with the equipment you use. Thank you in advance.

Post a pic

Vaughn17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased a Simplicity 240dc. It seems good. Was producing bubbles within ten minutes, and skimate by the end of the day. Also really like my new LED, a Reefbreeders Photon V2.

pugcrush

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back to the hobby! I'm pretty sure you'll like the reefer. Check out this thread when you have some time - https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/show-off-and-discuss-your-red-sea-reefer-series.219309/. Alot of individuals have the larger reefer tanks on there. Personally, I would try to get as best as you can from the start. You might want to think of what kind of bioload you were going to go with also when factoring your skimmer.

OP
OP
G

Gary Endler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased a Simplicity 240dc. It seems good. Was producing bubbles within ten minutes, and skimate by the end of the day. Also really like my new LED, a Reefbreeders Photon V2.
Thanks for the information. I will dig into the Simplicity and Reefbreedera equipment. What size tank are running this equipment on?

OP
OP
G

Gary Endler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back to the hobby! I'm pretty sure you'll like the reefer. Check out this thread when you have some time - https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/show-off-and-discuss-your-red-sea-reefer-series.219309/. Alot of individuals have the larger reefer tanks on there. Personally, I would try to get as best as you can from the start. You might want to think of what kind of bioload you were going to go with also when factoring your skimmer.
Thanks for the help. I am going to start reading. I have some ideas on what I want to put in the tank but I believe that will change as I get more involved. Thank you again.

Vaughn17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the information. I will dig into the Simplicity and Reefbreedera equipment. What size tank are running this equipment on?
The Reefbreeder is on a 40 breeder but will be moved to a 180 (the 32" model is too much light for a 40 breeder). The Simplicity skimmer is on a 180.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 85 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back