Lighting and stocking opinions for new tank

saltcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very slowly getting everything together for my new tank (IM 50 Lagoon EXT). The dimensions are 30" x 24" x 16" deep.

Lighting-wise, I was originally considering 3 AI Primes, but I'm also kicking around the idea of a Reefi Uno or Duo, or Reefbreeders Photon? Any strong pros or cons between the 3?
I have 1 prime already so would only need to pick up 2 more which makes that a tempting option. Planning a mixed reef, with birdsnest/stylophora and perhaps a monti, zoa garden, blastos, etc. Nothing too demanding lighting wise, I think.

In terms of livestock, I've been looking at the following:
- Pistol shrimp/goby pair: this is definite, since it's been in the plan since the very beginning. Currently leaning towards yellow rose goby; maybe also a yasha if you think the tank is big enough for 2 separate territories?
- Bangaii cardinal: I've always thought they were very pretty, even if they don't do much. I think I read that they might snack on ornamental shrimp; is this a concern?
- Clown goby (multiple?): these are very cute and small! Can I have more than one (different colours)?
- Neon blue goby: I don't have my heart set on this guy but I saw them at an aquarium recently and they're very cute. Adds a nice blue colour I don't have otherwise.
- Clownfish pair: these are probably a no, because of the aggression risk, but I can't deny the appeal. Thoughts?

Inverts:
- Porcelain anemone crab: I had one of these before (lost it to I think a bad moult) and definitely want to try again!
- Blood red fire shrimp: I know they are secretive but I love the colour.
- Pink dwarf feather duster
- Maybe, very much maybe, crocea clam? I think this might need more light than I'd get from the Primes?
- Money ring cowrie

My most important consideration with the livestock is my sole current inhabitant - I have a yellow banded possum wrasse who has been very bold and outgoing and not timid at all so far, and I don't want anything that will be mean to him :(
I'd appreciate any critique on my tentative list, or suggestions that I may not have considered!

With the proposed fish, what is my stocking level going to be like? I've seen very varied numbers in my research so far of how many fish can live comfortably in this size tank. I would rather stay on the lower stocked end of things.

Thank you!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Three primes or two hydra 26 or 32 should work also

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 63 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 11.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back