Lighting at various depths

  • Thread starter Thread starter Duke4Life
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Joined
Feb 14, 2015
Messages
3,571
Reaction score
4,185
Location
Winterville, NC
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a chart that shows what the percentage of light is at varying depths? I know this changes and there are many factors but on average. Trying to figure out how much to subdue my lighting for fish that live around 40+ feet deep compared to full on bright light.

Can I run blues all day or that's a bad idea? Any suggestions is helpful.
 
Last edited:
Are you running fowler or mixed? Do you have a meter? lux, footcandle or par?
Ive got a bunch of lighting bookmarks right now, (Trying to give myself the advanced lighting class.) I might be able to help point you in the right direction.
 
It's going to be a mixed reef, half/3ft will be bright to grow corals, the other half/3ft more subdued to the intensity found where my fish are. I'm looking for what reading/intensity light is at various depths, i.e. at 30ft it's 1/5 of typical reef etc. Hope this makes sense.
 
It does. The meter question is just so we speak the same language.
wait how deep? or are you going wide?
Its really going to be coral dependent though. Start by looking at Dana Riddle articles.
Ill take a look at my "library"
 
It does. The meter question is just so we speak the same language.
wait how deep? or are you going wide?
Its really going to be coral dependent though. Start by looking at Dana Riddle articles.
Ill take a look at my "library"
Lighting upgrade is coming Xmas :) and the local club has a par meter. Looking specifically at depth. I'm starting to research what's found in these areas that my fish are found. The darker area I've got a feeling my options may be more limited and I'm okay as the other can have everything else.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 29.2%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new