Lighting cycle for frag / grow-out tanks?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Harry_Y
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Harry_Y

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 30, 2009
Messages
1,084
Reaction score
205
Location
Liverpool, NY
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember reading once something about running
6hrs on 6hrs off on a frag / grow-out tanks.

It was supposed to give better growth.

Has anyone else heard of this?
 
yes I have. there is a website out there where I guy sells a book on how to start up a coral farm and he mentions 6hrs on 6hrs off. he also said to keep the lights about 18" away from the corals...most everything I read in that book helped except for those two things. I run my lights for about 11hrs and it worked 2times faster than the 6hr cycle as far as growth and color
 
From my understanding corals add to their skeleton at night so in some ways(theory) it might be right... on the other hand the time with the lights(skeleton building time) off will be shorter. I have actually asked this question on our local forum but no one thought it would work. Hmmm, I wonder if you did 8 on 8 off....
 
yes I have. there is a website out there where I guy sells a book on how to start up a coral farm and he mentions 6hrs on 6hrs off. he also said to keep the lights about 18" away from the corals...most everything I read in that book helped except for those two things. I run my lights for about 11hrs and it worked 2times faster than the 6hr cycle as far as growth and color


I run them 12 on, 12 off now and just switched them to opposite of the
Display to help with ph Swings since they share a common sump.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 3 4.5%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 26.9%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 28.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 9 13.4%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 6.0%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 6.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new