OP
VanDalsenReef

VanDalsenReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now everyone may be asking why 36. Absolute nightmare. Yes, potentially. I also the potential of different behavior of fish given they can now move more freely up and down. Plus staghorns...I mean a 2 foot tall green slimer would be phenomenal with chromis darting in and out. Will I hate when things fall? Sure but that's what tongs are for.

OP
OP
VanDalsenReef

VanDalsenReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do really appreciate everyone's help and opinion. Even the metal halide peeps. Haha. I do believe this will be something fantastic once it's completed. I will be documenting the entire process. So bare with me through it.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do really appreciate everyone's help and opinion. Even the metal halide peeps. Haha. I do believe this will be something fantastic once it's completed. I will be documenting the entire process. So bare with me through it.
How many 960's are you looking to get to gain the coverage?

I ask because you've said "3 x 400w MH's" in reference to the heat not being any fun, and watts are watts. The 960's are 360 Watts each... They're going to get nearly as hot... possibly hotter if you intend on doing 4 or more.

I'm not trying to drag you down the Halide route, as it's clear you don't wish to go there, I am just wondering if you've also considered that the Orpheks themselves will also be crazy hot.

OP
OP
VanDalsenReef

VanDalsenReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I ask because you've said "3 x 400w MH's" in reference to the heat not being any fun, and watts are watts. The 960's are 360 Watts each... They're going to get nearly as hot... possibly hotter if you intend on doing 4 or more.

I'm not trying to drag you down the Halide route, as it's clear you don't wish to go there, I am just wondering if you've also considered that the Orpheks themselves will also be crazy hot.
I've been told they run cooler but a watt is watt too. And apparently only 3 would be needed

OP
OP
VanDalsenReef

VanDalsenReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The heat thing is big but honestly not as big as the ability to continue to find parts and replacement etc. Unfortunately halides are just not the "thing anymore" and are either not being made for reefs or companies don't exist...which stinks because 400w ushio 14k was fantastic. Crisp white color and now the ability to add some fantastic supplement lights would be great. It's just not feasible in the long term.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I loved my orpheks. It's the 3 feet that worries me there won't be enough light to get all the way for acropora on the.sandbed
For me, I utilize the bars to cover that added area

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could look at the Reefi Uno with 90 degrees lense. I liked my orphek but the led burnt out in less than 2 years, only have 1 year warranty. Reefi have 3 years. They do produce a lot of heat though, similar to halide, that’s the biggest downside.

OP
OP
VanDalsenReef

VanDalsenReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was my set up when I had the 90. As you can see I have no problem going overboard and torching things

Attachments

• Resized_20230322_173326.jpeg
    Resized_20230322_173326.jpeg
    122.5 KB · Views: 7
OP
OP
VanDalsenReef

VanDalsenReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could look at the Reefi Uno with 90 degrees lense. I liked my orphek but the led burnt out in less than 2 years, only have 1 year warranty. Reefi have 3 years. They do produce a lot of heat though, similar to halide, that’s the biggest downside.
I will check those out. Thank you

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will check those out. Thank you
Have you looked at the Maxspect Professional series, or the Kessil Public Aquarium series? I would bet the Kessils cost as much or more than the Orphek's, but I am willing to bet the Maxspects will come in cheaper. And if they're good enough for the Georgia Aquarium and the Florida Aquarium, they can't be that bad :-D

peterboba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like 8 foot more than 6 if it is possible,
I mix both uno reefi pro 2 and radion G5, but I like reefi uno more, they provide pretty good par.
if money not a problem, you can order some T slot aluminum based on the size you like.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back