Lighting for a 20 gal. question (LED vs. T5)

SRT80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Posted this in the lighting forum, thought I get advice here as well...

I have a 20 gal. tank, been setup since 2005. It houses a pair of ocellaris clowns (had them both since 05) and soft corals (hairy mushrooms, mushrooms, green star polyps, and a leather).

I need a new light. For the last 6 months or so I have just been usin' a 10k 65w PC cause the Actinic burned out and I'm tired of payin' $25 for PC bulbs every six months. I'm sure the 10k will be burning out soon. The good thing, all the corals seem to be doin' fine.

My first thought was a Marineland reef capable LED. I was gonna go with the 18-24 size (24x12x16 tank). I figured the sides wouldn't be too shaded. But I have read more bad reviews than good so I'm gonna pass on it.

Next option was Par30 or Par38 bulbs. But would need 2. With fixtures, lookin' at over $200. More than I want to spend. If I thought I could get by with 1, I wouldn't mind. Everyone says 2 for a 24" long tank.

The cheapest option would be T5s. Ive seen T5HO fixtures (2x24w) and T5NO fixtures (2x14w). Could I get by with the T5NO? They are about less than half the cost of the T5HO. Or would it be better to just do the 2x24w?

No more corals for me. I'm only keepin' this tank runnin' cause of my clowns. If somethin' ever happens to them, this tank and all corals/rock will be sold. I just need somethin' so the corals I have now will be fine. The clowns host the hairy mushrooms.

I'm pretty much out of SW/Reef now. That's why I don't want to drop a lot on a light fixture.

Thoughts?
Steve

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well sounds like you really dont want to keep the tank so i suggest maybe just selling off and making some money? but if its just soft corals you could probably get away with 1 par bulb think 2 of those bulbs can grow sps in a 20g from what little ive heard about them.

OP
OP
S

SRT80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not that I don't want to keep the tank. I don't want to get rid of my clowns though. They host the hairy mushrooms. Pretty much the whole center are hairy mushrooms. I want to keep the tank runnin' for them. I'm just sayin' no more corals for me so I don't want top of the line lighting.

I'm afraid only 1 par bulb is just gonna spotlight the center of the tank leaving the sides too dark. I have searched a lot tryin' to find someone with a 24" long tank with 1 Par bulb, but they all have 2 or 3.

Boostled has a nice clamp on fixture that come with their bulb for like $105 I think. But add 2, I'd rather not spend that much. Don't want to gamble with the 1 and then have to turn around and try to sale (for a loss) or buy another.

Steve

Zef004

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your budget is under $200 I would go 24" 4xt5 fixture you can find these used under $200. I think someone in the club is selling one.

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could use just 1 of those boostled. That will be plenty of light for the corals you have.

OP
OP
S

SRT80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wantin' to stay under $100. The 2x24w fixtures are like $70 new and the 2x14w are a little under $40.

Boostled had a sale $89 for the bulb and fixture awhile back. I was keepin a eye on them in case they do a holiday special.

Steve

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in that case i would go with the 2x24 one like zef said u can probably find one used for really cheap. but used u might end up spending just as much having to buy new bulbs for soon lol

Bishop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm afraid only 1 par bulb is just gonna spotlight the center of the tank leaving the sides too dark. I have searched a lot tryin' to find someone with a 24" long tank with 1 Par bulb, but they all have 2 or 3

Boostled has a nice clamp on fixture that come with their bulb for like $105 I think.

I just bought 2 more BoostLED PAR30's used from a guy that had the goosenecks for them. He said they were point of sale. I use PVC pipe to hang my lights as it hides the cord well. It can also be painted or wrapped to look good. I use two par30s on my 20L and 3 on my 36 along with 150w MH. I can tell you that two are needed for a 20 as they really only cover a 12x12 inch area.

The cheapest option would be T5s
The cheapest option would be Two BoostLED Par30's as far as premade lighting goes. Getting some gear from Rapidled to make your own LED rig would be the cheapest way though but needs some DIY love. I find 3 Blue : 2 white to be the best ratio with all Royal Blue being the best look but only bringing out the glow of corals. T5 have a crappy quality light in my opinion and the constant need to replace bulbs can quickly add up in expense. BoostLED bulbs work great and look great without much work or money. The look they would give your tank could even increase your interest in it.

Bishop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Panorama pros is my opinion I got then and love them. Pm me if you want some pictures or a video.
Wow, These are $150 to get one running good. Reflector and transformer are a must. While a single one does use more watts than a Par30, it is made of a higher number of much weaker LED's. The bonus these do have is the size. 2 of these would be awesome in a 12 or 14 gallon nano cube. I just don't like the price. In the right tank these have high end quality. These are not the light for a 20 L.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back