Lighting for a FOWLR T5 question

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using 2 bulbs out of my 8 bulb T5 fixture to light my FOWLR. This won’t harm the fixture because it’s channel 1. Channel 2 (6 bulbs) is completely off

As of right now, I’m using 50% blue plus and 50% purple plus.

I’m thinking the lighting is a little too low in kelvin for my taste. I don’t like how the tank’s algae and dinginess is highlighted by the lower kelvin.

I’m thinking of doing 50% blue plus and 50% actinic. I already have the bulbs at home.

Based on your understanding of T5 bulbs, how would this combo look in a FOWLR? Is this as close to 20K as I can get with using T5’s?

Thanks!

acanman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up buying a cheaper led fixture on Amazon that has alot of different lighting setting fir my 250 gallon fowlr

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up buying a cheaper led fixture on Amazon that has alot of different lighting setting fir my 250 gallon fowlr
Thank you. Good idea! I actually do have my fully functional LED’s too! I will attempt to switch them out today!

PS, before anyone asks, I switched to T5 because my tank used to grow corals and I wanted better spread. But now there’s no need for that anymore!

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming ATI's actinic? It will glow things up, like a blacklight but not quite. The problem I have with it is that it looks dim to the eye.

I'd be tempted to run 2 Blue+ in this situation. To me, B+ is close to the 20K look.

Purples and actinics have their place, but I would usually mix them in 6-8 bulb combos.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming ATI's actinic? It will glow things up, like a blacklight but not quite. The problem I have with it is that it looks dim to the eye.

I'd be tempted to run 2 Blue+ in this situation. To me, B+ is close to the 20K look.

Purples and actinics have their place, but I would usually mix them in 6-8 bulb combos.
I’ve tried 2 blue+ but for some reason I think the tint is green!

Anyway, I switched back to LED’s and I’m happy with the look! It’s very nice IMO!

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. Small update. I’ve had my old LED’s up and running on my FOWLR and let me say, once you go T5 you can never go back!

The spread of the T5 is incredible. I feel like the coloration is so much higher quality than LED’s.

Of course, it’s fun to easily adjust a slider on a phone with LED’s, but T5’s are a win for me. I will make the switch back tomorrow. :)

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My go to for 2 bulb is GE 6500k and True Actinic. This is not quite 20k, but close. It is bright and has some pop. 1 BP and 1 CP would be second - again, not quite 20k, but good.

The GE 6500k bulbs are really cheap, too. I buy them by the case every 4-5 years for my frag tanks and fuges.

Back