Lighting for a JBJ 30 gallon rimless

Fishninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking at lighting options for these, trying to keep it under $200 at most $250. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanks!

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put a ReefBreeders Value fixture over my JBJ 28. If I had to do it today, it would be THIS fixture which I'm currently using over my 90DT.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they pretty much the same thing? Is one bigger or louder than the other?

Yes, they pretty much are the same thing......55, 3W leds running at 2 - 2.1 W in a black box that, by the eye, looks to be the same size. Noise is equal.....I really don't notice any noise, but I'm sure if I climb on top of the canopy I'd hear the fans.

OP
OP
Fishninja

Fishninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, they pretty much are the same thing......55, 3W leds running at 2 - 2.1 W in a black box that, by the eye, looks to be the same size. Noise is equal.....I really don't notice any noise, but I'm sure if I climb on top of the canopy I'd hear the fans.
Would they be strong enough for sps?

xavier009

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive heard good things about the prime. Do experience myself but like i said i read a lot of threads of nano tanks where the prime was used with large amounts of success

lazlodawg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my JBJ 30 mixed reef, I started off with the 18" Orbit Marine Pro and I really liked the sunset and sunrise feature as well as the programmability. Unfortunately, it just wasn't very bright, even with both channels at 100%.
I ended up buying an Ocean Revive T247-B a couple of weeks ago while it was on sale for $158. It has separately programmable channels for whites and blues, but no sunrise/sunset feature. I chose it because of price, power, and tank mounts as I can't hang lighting in my situation.

I am beyond pleased so far. The lights are quiet and extremely powerful. I only have it at 30% power blues and 10% power whites for now. I had shadowing problems with the Marine Pro, but none of that with this light. My shrooms, palys, and zoas have shown noticeable growth and my Monti is encrusting more in the past week than in the month before.
I know lots of people poo poo the Chinese black boxes, but it seems to be a great option for lots of reefers including myself.

OP
OP
Fishninja

Fishninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my JBJ 30 mixed reef, I started off with the 18" Orbit Marine Pro and I really liked the sunset and sunrise feature as well as the programmability. Unfortunately, it just wasn't very bright, even with both channels at 100%.
I ended up buying an Ocean Revive T247-B a couple of weeks ago while it was on sale for $158. It has separately programmable channels for whites and blues, but no sunrise/sunset feature. I chose it because of price, power, and tank mounts as I can't hang lighting in my situation.

I am beyond pleased so far. The lights are quiet and extremely powerful. I only have it at 30% power blues and 10% power whites for now. I had shadowing problems with the Marine Pro, but none of that with this light. My shrooms, palys, and zoas have shown noticeable growth and my Monti is encrusting more in the past week than in the month before.
I know lots of people poo poo the Chinese black boxes, but it seems to be a great option for lots of reefers including myself.
I keep going back and forth on wether to invest in an AI prime or do a black box type of led…[emoji52]

OP
OP
Fishninja

Fishninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I really can't decide wether to go the black box Chinese led, AI Prime, or a Kessil. I am assuming the kessil a150 is not enough light?

xavier009

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a black box led that will be lighting my redsea max 34. I personally think itll be more than enough.

xavier009

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I havent found any mounts. I was planning on either using metal conduit attached to the back of the stand or suspending them from a shelf.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 72 41.4%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 37 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 5.7%
Back