Lighting for an 8 gallon biocube lid

kingkai512

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know of a thin model of leds that will be able to fit inside the lid of an 8 gallon biocube?
i know retrofit leds exist but those are a little up there in price, not trying to grow anything fancy. maybe something in the $50 range.
i was able to fit the Aquaknight 30w inside but was way too close and powerful for this tank.

the stock cfl bulbs have enormous power cords and weird ballasts that are honestly probably bigger than the tank when coiled up. its such an eye sore.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know of a thin model of leds that will be able to fit inside the lid of an 8 gallon biocube?
i know retrofit leds exist but those are a little up there in price, not trying to grow anything fancy. maybe something in the $50 range.
i was able to fit the Aquaknight 30w inside but was way too close and powerful for this tank.

the stock cfl bulbs have enormous power cords and weird ballasts that are honestly probably bigger than the tank when coiled up. its such an eye sore.
(lol)
$50 is tough... :confused:

I consider going hood-less and slamming a Kessil a80 over that tank.

You'd love the shimmer too.

:)

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you looked at the Reef Brite leds? I put a Actinic Blue and white Reef Brite led strip under the canopy of my 16 gallon fluval. I used the 12" strips. Don't know if this would fit on your 8 gallon but the lights have worked very well and the coral love them.

BRS has them for just around $50

I drilled holes in the plastic canopy and used zip ties to hold the lights. Have had no issues after several months of use.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I never minded the stock lighting on mine. It will grow pretty much anything.

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never minded the stock lighting on mine. It will grow pretty much anything.

I thought the stock light was pretty good. But I wanted more blue in the mix and the reef brite fit the bill.

On a budget the stock fluval system would work out well. I just like adding more bells and whistles to anything I'm working with.

OP
OP
kingkai512

kingkai512

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I liked the stock lighting too but I wanted to get something a little less "cord-y". I really like the Biocubes hood because it prevents the cat from messing around in there

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 25 34.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 8 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 18.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back