Lighting for Fluval flex 32

raking33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I was wondering if my light settings are good? Or any suggestions.

It's a fluval flex 32.2 marine, and only one light.

I have a mixed reef with the coral still haven't grown past the frag but are growing.

IMG_0067.jpeg IMG_0066.png

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many watts is that fixture? The tank looks kind of dim at the top and dark at the bottom.

GentlePuffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not seeing much sps or anything that requires high par so I’m pretty sure you don’t need reds. You can probably increase the rest to over 80 since it’s a low wattage light fixture. You can prob keep the white where it is. Let us know what you ended up doing note you’ve had the system for awhile. I’m curious as to how these lights hold up.

peterat33rpm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a similar question to the OP. I only have 2 clowns and no corals so far and I’m trying to decide when/if to turn my lights on. Seems like most people here say turn them on and just deal with the inevitable uglies when they arrive. And this way I can maybe get some easy corals sooner.

This is the spectrum and schedule I just cobbled together that I might start with. Does this seem reasonable? Also interested to see how OP’s experience is with their schedule.

IMG_3034.png

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd rent a par meter if you can. You could porbably increase the intensity but I am not sure if light is the limiting factor hence the meter. What is the nitrate and phosphate value?

peterat33rpm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate 0-5, and phos was 1 when I checked today. Thats a little too high for phos right? I’m adding a bottle of copepods tonight, and while i was at the store to get those I ended up getting a Xenia and 5 hermits too

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate 0-5, and phos was 1 when I checked today. Thats a little too high for phos right? I’m adding a bottle of copepods tonight, and while i was at the store to get those I ended up getting a Xenia and 5 hermits too

That is high for phosphate. As for nitrate, you can feed corals a phosphate free food via amino acids if you feel nitrate may be 0.

peterat33rpm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you say it’s worth getting phosphate lowering media for my filter or this is just the tank settling in since it’s only ~3 weeks old?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you say it’s worth getting phosphate lowering media for my filter or this is just the tank settling in since it’s only ~3 weeks old?

I personally would add a pinch of gfo into a bag with quality bituminous or rox carbon

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.2%
Back