Lighting for my new Bali Slimer

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I’m just starting to move into the SPS world with some easier keeping frags and decided to try a small green Bali slimer

It’s growing in a horn shape with a slight bend at the end like a rhino’s horn and I’ve noticed this is causing shadowing on the underside of the frag and I can’t figure out how to place it in order to light the underside.

Currently it’s placed at the top, reaching upwards towards the surface. I have two AI prime 16 HD’s currently on my 170 cube so should be enough lighting

thanks!

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I’m just starting to move into the SPS world with some easier keeping frags and decided to try a small green Bali slimer

It’s growing in a horn shape with a slight bend at the end like a rhino’s horn and I’ve noticed this is causing shadowing on the underside of the frag and I can’t figure out how to place it in order to light the underside.

Currently it’s placed at the top, reaching upwards towards the surface. I have two AI prime 16 HD’s currently on my 170 cube so should be enough lighting

thanks!
Is there a question?
Are you asking how to light the underside?
Some BRS videos claim lights bounce off tank walls back into the coral. Or use T5 lights to blanket the tank.
There really is no other way to light the underside.

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a question?
Are you asking how to light the underside?
Some BRS videos claim lights bounce off tank walls back into the coral. Or use T5 lights to blanket the tank.
There really is no other way to light the underside.
Yes that’s meant to be the question, “how do we light the underside of the frags?”

skimmerman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine started out small like yours this is what to look forward too

Attachments

• IMG_3313.jpeg
    IMG_3313.jpeg
    296.8 KB · Views: 78

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thats why most of use SPS gurus keep bare bottom tanks, you mount a second lighing set up under the tank and light your corals from both top and bottom. . . you do have to keep the bottom glass really clean though, scrape off all that pesky coraline algae!!!!

. . . only kidding of course!

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats why most of use SPS gurus keep bare bottom tanks, you mount a second lighing set up under the tank and light your corals from both top and bottom. . . you do have to keep the bottom glass really clean though, scrape off all that pesky coraline algae!!!!

. . . only kidding of course!
Okay I guess there are SOME stupid questions lol

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Okay I guess there are SOME stupid questions lol
No, I was just making a funny, it's a perfectly fine question. Corals need light to survive so what happens it we create shadows that weren't there before? In my opinion (for what that's worth haha) it's sort of a non issue (assuming you have good lights and aren't putting the coral somewhere crazy), I get growth on my acros even if they shade themselves a bit (shaded spots are still recieving ambient and reflected light). I think as the colonies get bigger it could be more of an issue. . . but that is future me's problem.

I just try to position the acro so as many surfaces get direct light as possible (or position it in a way that looks super cool!) and call it a day. . . that said certain types of light and supplemental lighting could help.

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please do not worry about shadowing on coral fragments. Shadowing should only become a problem when corals grow too large.
Thanks, mate!

It seems to be doing okay. Not getting great polyp extension though, my nitrates are a bit high at the moment. Just put in a new skimmer today.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back