SPS and light change

dmh41532

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening guys, I have a 24 gallon cube with a mix of LPS and SPS. I use an AI Prime 16HD to light it. I had the whites set at 25% and the blues at 50%. I was at
My LFS where I got the light and the said 25% is too high for the corals, so I turned the white to 20% and bumped up the blues a bit to get more blue. I have one coral, sold as green slimer acropora that doesn’t seem thrilled. It’s definitely not open like it was. Does it look like it just needs time to adjust?

IMG_2608.jpeg

Zaven D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s got some pretty solid polyp extension. I would be careful with making drastic changes to lighting schedules and slowly ramp up little by little.

A good indicator is color, if the coral is super pale it could be a sign of too much light.

Renting a par meter will be helpful. But hoping this helps you!

OP
OP
D

dmh41532

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s got some pretty solid polyp extension. I would be careful with making drastic changes to lighting schedules and slowly ramp up little by little.

A good indicator is color, if the coral is super pale it could be a sign of too much light.

Renting a par meter will be helpful. But hoping this helps you!
It’s definitely got less extension than it had. Color seems good. I’ve tried right rent a par meter, but have no idea where to rent one

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening guys, I have a 24 gallon cube with a mix of LPS and SPS. I use an AI Prime 16HD to light it. I had the whites set at 25% and the blues at 50%. I was at
My LFS where I got the light and the said 25% is too high for the corals, so I turned the white to 20% and bumped up the blues a bit to get more blue. I have one coral, sold as green slimer acropora that doesn’t seem thrilled. It’s definitely not open like it was. Does it look like it just needs time to adjust?

IMG_2608.jpeg
Huh?
I don't get it.
Par meter is a great tool but run the color that's good for coral and the way you like it.
Don't put each spectrum in a box.
I like white lights and not the windex look. My corals grow and look great. If my LFS told me I'm wrong and turn down the white, I will tell them to go pound sand.

Screenshot_20231219_070541_Reef Nexus.jpg 20230924_142047.jpg Screenshot_20231219_070553_Reef Nexus.jpg

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SPS don't like any changes.....whether it is PAR or spectrum. Just needs to be done slowly...they will normally adapt to whatever you end up going with (assuming PAR levels are in normal levels).

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t listen to that fish store lol… for one that’s not a green slimer that’s a green hyndophora which is a stinger.. secondly corals love full spectrum and can take some serious light if you acclimate them properly…

OP
OP
D

dmh41532

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t listen to that fish store lol… for one that’s not a green slimer that’s a green hyndophora which is a stinger.. secondly corals love full spectrum and can take some serious light if you acclimate them properly

Oh geeze, this is the second coral they’ve mislabeled the. The sold me what they said was a digitata and it’s something else. Now this. I’m thinking it’s time for a different store for coral.

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From your post history, it looks like you have a 24g cube, correct? When I ran two AI Primes over my Nuvo 20, the best PAR value I got halfway down the tank was 290. You should look locally (clubs, forums, LFS, other reefers) to get a PAR meter and measure.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back