Lighting for my new build. What do you think?

Holy_makerel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've narrowed my choices down to 2 possibilities right now.

4' 120gal SPS dominant tank.

1) 2 Orphek Atlantik gen 2 compact units

2) 48" t5 hybrid with 2 radion xr15s(could add 3rd in future)

I think either one is a solid option and right now I'm leaning towards the hybrid just because I like the blanket of light that t5s put out with the radions adding some punch. But those Orpheks are supposed to be amazing.

What would you choose?

TIA

Screenshot_20190324-170938.png
Screenshot_20190324-171057.png

Last edited:

Dkeller_nc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank? If it's a 4-footer, then I'd choose the T5 hybrid option, with Gen 4 XR15s and the diffusers. That's assuming you intend SPS; otherwise, that's probably a bit much, and I'd go with an ATI dimmable T5HO fixture.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What corals? Lps, sps, softies.

Imo.... lighting is all about replicating the PAR value the corals are use to in nature and where they thrive at what depths of their natural environment....

Doesn't T5s have great color options but low(er) PAR values? Idk...

OP
OP
Holy_makerel

Holy_makerel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What corals? Lps, sps, softies.

Imo.... lighting is all about replicating the PAR value the corals are use to in nature and where they thrive at what depths of their natural environment....

Doesn't T5s have great color options but low(er) PAR values? Idk...
From my understanding they have good par, you just have to change the bulbs every year. This unit has 4 bulbs which will give me good options for using several different spectrums with the t5s.

Rufus’ goofs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a 36” hybrid with a photon v2 led, and I really really love the look of the combination, but the large fixture is a bit cumbersome and then there is the bulb replacement. If I were going to do it again, I would lean towards the all led approach, but very likely miss the very flat distribution of light as well as the look they together give the tank.
I think either one of those option will have enough punch and spread for your goals.

Dkeller_nc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One consideration is that you can buy a truly large number of T5HO bulbs for the $$$ difference between an all-LED option and a T5HO-only or hybrid approach. To give you an idea, I run 3 Radions over a 2' x 2' 50g cube - 1 XR30Pro, and 2 XR15s. That's kind of obviously not because of a need for intensity - Radions have a ton of power. It's an issue of even lighting and not shadowing coral. It takes about 45 minutes to watch all the way through, but BRS did a very in-depth review of all of the options for an SPS tank in this video. Well worth watching.

OP
OP
Holy_makerel

Holy_makerel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One consideration is that you can buy a truly large number of T5HO bulbs for the $$$ difference between an all-LED option and a T5HO-only or hybrid approach. To give you an idea, I run 3 Radions over a 2' x 2' 50g cube - 1 XR30Pro, and 2 XR15s. That's kind of obviously not because of a need for intensity - Radions have a ton of power. It's an issue of even lighting and not shadowing coral. It takes about 45 minutes to watch all the way through, but BRS did a very in-depth review of all of the options for an SPS tank in this video. Well worth watching.
That's a whole lot of radions! Got a tank shot?

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Pick an all led approach if you simply like the appearance of all LEDs and dislike the aesthetic of t5ho. The amount of heat and electricity difference is negligible. And it will take several years before you even break even on cost if you’re going for top shelf LEDs. For those of you new hobbyists that weren’t around for the world of tubes and bulbs, the “cost savings” or LEDs is far from a perfect argument and spending $100 a year on 4 bulbs for a hybrid unit is negligible. If that breaks the bank this may not be the hobby for you. The improvement in growth and color will more than pay for itself in short order. But like I said. If you simply like how an all led setup looks, then by all means. Make that be your choice. I always lol at the “but but but. Ongoing bulb change cost” types who upgrade their led panels every 18 months

OP
OP
Holy_makerel

Holy_makerel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pick an all led approach if you simply like the appearance of all LEDs and dislike the aesthetic of t5ho. The amount of heat and electricity difference is negligible. And it will take several years before you even break even on cost if you’re going for top shelf LEDs. For those of you new hobbyists that weren’t around for the world of tubes and bulbs, the “cost savings” or LEDs is far from a perfect argument and spending $100 a year on 4 bulbs for a hybrid unit is negligible. If that breaks the bank this may not be the hobby for you. The improvement in growth and color will more than pay for itself in short order. But like I said. If you simply like how an all led setup looks, then by all means. Make that be your choice. I always lol at the “but but but. Ongoing bulb change cost” types who upgrade their led panels every 18 months

Thanks for the reply. I'm running a hybrid system on on my 60 cube right now and really enjoy it. My favorite viewing time is when they're on. I like the spread of t5s a lot.

Dkeller_nc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a whole lot of radions! Got a tank shot?
Unfortunately no. Photobucket's meltdown took down my shots, and I haven't been willing to set up an account at Flickr or Imgur, but might in the near future.

If you like the look of T5HO, then I'd highly suggest you go that route. They're pretty bulletproof, and because the technology's stable, there's not a "latest and greatest" version that comes out every year that prompts you to think about upgrading. I'm setting up a new IM40EXT (working on it this evening, in fact) for another SPS/clam tank, and it will have a 8-bulb T5HO lighting setup with no LEDs.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back