Lighting Questions for Reef Tank

Riggins76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lights just went out on my fish tank lid. I have been planning to buy a new light anyway because I would like to get into the reefing hobby. I have a 23" High x 12" Deep x 30" Long tank. After all of my research I have done, I am thinking I am just going to go straight t5 but my plan is to buy a t5 hybrid (more specifically this one here ) and not buy the LED until I get serious about the hobby in 2-3 months from now.

My questions are:
1. Is the 24" model the right size for the tank? It seems like it but I don't really understand the angle at which it will travel out of fixture.
2. I haven't been able to find the answer so maybe I am just missing it, but are t5's programmable like LEDs? For example starting up slow and going down slow to model sunrise/sunset. Also when I say programmable, are there t5s that are wifi enabled? I didn't see it on this any of the information so maybe it is a dumb question but don't know much about lighting as of yet.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No sunrise etc as far as I know, they are either on or off.

Maybe you would be better with the led first, as you say you don’t know if you are serious about the hobby yet, led would be easier to sell, not sure how long replacement bulbs for T5s will be around is an issue too.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For your system pick led or T5. You really dont need both but it wont hurt.
24" 4 bulb unit is all you need in that tank. It will grow anything and that hybrid fixture is an excellent option for additional leds.

T5's are on off and most dont have a timer.

Take a look at the NP K7 V3. Around $200 with a mount.
I run one on my 5 month old 20g nano. They are gen 4 radion copys and work well. Plus you can use them on any upgrade.
My 20g nano cube.
20230720_150022.jpg

Propane

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgive my ignorance but is that a 29 gallon tank. I’m having trouble picturing it.

Propane

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the answer and pic. Never seen one before.

OP
OP
R

Riggins76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For your system pick led or T5. You really dont need both but it wont hurt.
24" 4 bulb unit is all you need in that tank. It will grow anything and that hybrid fixture is an excellent option for additional leds.

T5's are on off and most dont have a timer.

Take a look at the NP K7 V3. Around $200 with a mount.
I run one on my 5 month old 20g nano. They are gen 4 radion copys and work well. Plus you can use them on any upgrade.
My 20g nano cube.
20230720_150022.jpg
I appreciate you response. Do have a link that has the all in on package including stand? Or did you buy the stand separate from the light?

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate you response. Do have a link that has the all in on package including stand? Or did you buy the stand separate from the light?
The mount/stand comes with the K7 . I paid $219. They sell them for less without the mount.
Jump on this as its less than what I paid and comes dirrect from NP. Proabably $219 shipped

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Riggins76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mount/stand comes with the K7 . I paid $219. They sell them for less without the mount.
Jump on this as its less than what I paid and comes dirrect from NP. Proabably 2$19 shipped
Just bought it. Thanks for the insite.

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATI makes a dimmable 24" 6 bulb fixture with built in controller that would work for you.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back