OP
OP
G

gatortrax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the MarsAqua and Viparspectra are pretty much the same thing. The Viparspectra has a few extra features compared to the Marsaqua, but they are very close. The Orbits are just nice since they are easy and you don't need any extra timers, mounts,arms,etc since they are on brackets held on by the tank,comes with a temp sensor and is just an overall nice package for the price. Any of the 3 I mentioned will do well and you should be happy with :)
Thanks a lot for all the help and recommendations!

OP
OP
G

gatortrax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a completely different sidenote,,, how should I go about the sand bed? In freshwater thick sand beds are feared by everyone because of the gas buildups that occur if they aren’t constantly dug up. Are deeper sand beds beneficial in reef tanks? Everyone seems to like around 80 lbs of fiji pink sand for a 75 gallon tank with some in the sump as well but what’s the best option? Should I get a goby or such that likes to bury in the sand or is it not necessary? How thick should the sand beds be?

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 2 Fluval marine LEDs, they have Bluetooth and 7 light channels that you can set to your liking. Also they have a ramp up and down feature.
I love how they work and are powerful enough for my 75g
IMG_20200614_222624.jpg
IMG_20200701_212141.jpg
IMG_20200706_023351.jpg
IMG_20200709_232151.jpg
IMG_20200713_100059.jpg

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a completely different sidenote,,, how should I go about the sand bed? In freshwater thick sand beds are feared by everyone because of the gas buildups that occur if they aren’t constantly dug up. Are deeper sand beds beneficial in reef tanks? Everyone seems to like around 80 lbs of fiji pink sand for a 75 gallon tank with some in the sump as well but what’s the best option? Should I get a goby or such that likes to bury in the sand or is it not necessary? How thick should the sand beds be?

Sand beds are nice as they allow for more options of fish and some coral like elegances(granted you can put them on a rock, but they dont like it as much) The sand also helps trap nitrates,phosphates,etc, and the micro fauna it houses also consume it too. It justs a good cycle to have IMO. 2 to 2.5 inches is where you want to be, don't go to much deeper.
Gobys like the Diamond/Orange spot goby work wonders, i just posted how good mine is in todays daily question. He is a big one though, about 5 inches. The sand is so clean it looks new and reflects so much half my corals disppear on camera, yet you can see all the microfauna from the side view.

tank july 2020.jpg
tank reflection.jpg

Then bam almost everything gone on camera, xenia, acans, most anemones,etc gone... LOL The reflection is too much for the camera. xD

tank june 2020.jpg

OP
OP
G

gatortrax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sand beds are nice as they allow for more options of fish and some coral like elegances(granted you can put them on a rock, but they dont like it as much) The sand also helps trap nitrates,phosphates,etc, and the micro fauna it houses also consume it too. It justs a good cycle to have IMO. 2 to 2.5 inches is where you want to be, don't go to much deeper.
Gobys like the Diamond/Orange spot goby work wonders, i just posted how good mine is in todays daily question. He is a big one though, about 5 inches. The sand is so clean it looks new and reflects so much half my corals disppear on camera, yet you can see all the microfauna from the side view.

tank july 2020.jpg
tank reflection.jpg

Then bam almost everything gone on camera, xenia, acans, most anemones,etc gone... LOL The reflection is too much for the camera. xD

tank june 2020.jpg
What corals?? but thank you 2-2.5 inches is a good range. I heard that you should always place your live rock before the sand in case somebody burrows under the rocks. Should I use some of the egg crate lighting diffuser under the rocks so they aren’t touching the glass?

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fluval getting the job done
They are and no extra equipment to hook them up and use Wi-Fi (Bluetooth).
You do need to be close to the aquarium, roughly 20 ft for the Bluetooth connectivity, but I really don't see a need to change my lights when I'm not able to see the aquarium.

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What corals?? but thank you 2-2.5 inches is a good range. I heard that you should always place your live rock before the sand in case somebody burrows under the rocks. Should I use some of the egg crate lighting diffuser under the rocks so they aren’t touching the glass?
It's fine if the rock touches the bottom of the glass,egg crate could and would most likely bother the goby and yes you should place rock first then sand after. It helps for when your future goby buries a rock you dont want it to while it makes it cave LOL. If you place it ontop of the sand, it could come crashing down and burrowed under and even kill the fish.

OP
OP
G

gatortrax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are and no extra equipment to hook them up and use Wi-Fi (Bluetooth).
You do need to be close to the aquarium, roughly 20 ft for the Bluetooth connectivity, but I really don't see a need to change my lights when I'm not able to see the aquarium.
What would you say these guys are rated for? I’m sure there’s plenty of PAR testing that’s been done out on the internet but how’s your experience with them been?

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you say these guys are rated for? I’m sure there’s plenty of PAR testing that’s been done out on the internet but how’s your experience with them been?
I haven't par tested them, but I have full light penetration to the sand.
They have tones of light diodes, and full span across my 4ft long tank, I use 2 and have zero complaints about them.

I just can't justify to myself, why I would pay over $200-$400 for 1 hockey puck, then another $200+ for the equipment for puck to plug in to, and another $200 for a WIFI device for the 1 hockey puck and power equipment, to light up maybe 1 side of my aquarium. Just my opinion :)

OP
OP
G

gatortrax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't par tested them, but I have full light penetration to the sand.
They have tones of light diodes, and full span across my 4ft long tank, I use 2 and have zero complaints about them.

I just can't justify to myself, why I would pay over $200-$400 for 1 hockey puck, then another $200+ for the equipment for puck to plug in to, and another $200 for a WIFI device for the 1 hockey puck and power equipment, to light up maybe 1 side of my aquarium. Just my opinion :)
Yeah I agree, at least for now as I’m getting into it. Understand the quality but willing to tinker with a couple black boxes or lightbars before going there.

OP
OP
G

gatortrax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's fine if the rock touches the bottom of the glass,egg crate could and would most likely bother the goby and yes you should place rock first then sand after. It helps for when your future goby buries a rock you dont want it to while it makes it cave LOL. If you place it ontop of the sand, it could come crashing down and burrowed under and even kill the fish.
Ok thank you! Want to make sure I do everything right the first time. :)

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would the one ocean revive fixture be enough for a 75?
No you would need two. Two with both channels combined being no higher than 50%. However I do like the ocean revives since they seem to be a higher quality light than most Blackbox but i haven't used Mars aqua or viparaspectra so I can't speak for those. I haven't used SB reeflights but they seem to be decent and powerful. I am wondering if 4 kingbo par 38 bulbs would do the trick. I am sure there are threads on here about those.

There are plenty of lights put there and you can also find used ones from bigger brands too for a decent price.

OP
OP
G

gatortrax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No you would need two. Two with both channels combined being no higher than 50%. However I do like the ocean revives since they seem to be a higher quality light than most Blackbox but i haven't used Mars aqua or viparaspectra so I can't speak for those. I haven't used SB reeflights but they seem to be decent and powerful. I am wondering if 4 kingbo par 38 bulbs would do the trick. I am sure there are threads on here about those.

There are plenty of lights put there and you can also find used ones from bigger brands too for a decent price.
Thinking the ocean revives May be the best black box option right now. Really good reviews and even though the settings may be a bit confusing there are threads that I found that help with setting them. Seem like an overall great light.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking the ocean revives May be the best black box option right now. Really good reviews and even though the settings may be a bit confusing there are threads that I found that help with setting them. Seem like an overall great light.

You can always message me if you need help with them. I have 2 on my 75g.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 104 80.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back