Lighting for soft corals on 75 gallon

gatortrax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been in the freshwater hobby for years and would like to finally immerse myself into the saltwater world. It is a lot of information to take in regardless so I’ve been trying to go down a checklist to wrap my head around everything necessary for this tank. I would like to keep soft corals (at least for a while) and don’t want a bare minimum system, but not something too overkill for softs. I have heard a T5 fixture could work well but am not sure where to start. Also on a side note, are glass lids useful on saltwater tanks or should I keep it open under a canopy? Thanks a lot in advance.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass lids are ok but I don't like cleaning them and I prefer wide spaced mesh covers like that from brs. What kind of price range are you thinking about? Do you plan on hanging the lights or using a mount (ex: brackets, arm mount?

Also I assume its a standard 75g right?

OP
OP
G

gatortrax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass lids are ok but I don't like cleaning them and I prefer wide spaced mesh covers like that from brs. What kind of price range are you thinking about? Do you plan on hanging the lights or using a mount (ex: brackets, arm mount?

Also I assume its a standard 75g right?
Yes it’s a standard 75 and I have seen the mesh covers before so I can look into getting those instead. Also I’m willing to spend up to a couple hundred dollars if it’s worth it but somewhere around $200-300. I have not thought ab how I’ll place the lights but probably something under my canopy.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ocean revives are 180 a piece and are enough for sps. However they do not have a strong actinic LED so you do not get as much pop as some others. A SB reef light would also work. T5 is always an option too, but I am more of an LED fan just becaue it produces less heat and last longer. You could also 4 par 38 bulbs.

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if you only plan to run soft corals, anemones, and maybe some LPS in the future when you are more comfortable id just go with a black box like Marsaqua or viparspectra. Another decent one for what you want is current orbit, as it has a morning/night ramp up/down that are easier on the coral,and look very cool. It has pre made light schedules if you dont want to set your own, you dont need a timer, It can also control pumps and other stuff. Not the strongest lights, the other two black boxes mentioned are stronger, but can't ramp up or down and can't control pumps, need a timer, but if you plan on never going SPS or only at the top, the current orbits work well as does the mars aqua and viparspectra.

Mars aqua
viparspectra
current orbit

Lids are great to have for jumpers. Glass or mesh work, both have their ups and downs. Glass is easier to take off, quicker to put back on, easier to clean. Now the cons of glass is you can get salt creep, it blocks out more light, it can keep the tank warmer(which can be good or bad), it can keep gasses in or out which is both also good and bad. Glass is heavier. Both have their pros and cons.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if you only plan to run soft corals, anemones, and maybe some LPS in the future when you are more comfortable id just go with a black box like Marsaqua or viparspectra. Another decent one for what you want is current orbit, as it has a morning/night ramp up/down that are easier on the coral,and look very cool. It has pre made light schedules if you dont want to set your own, you dont need a timer, It can also control pumps and other stuff. Not the strongest lights, the other two black boxes mentioned are stronger, but can't ramp up or down and can't control pumps, need a timer, but if you plan on never going SPS or only at the top, the current orbits work well as does the mars aqua and viparspectra.

Mars aqua
viparspectra
current orbit

Lids are great to have for jumpers. Glass or mesh work, both have their ups and downs. Glass is easier to take off, quicker to put back on, easier to clean. Now the cons of glass is you can get salt creep, it blocks out more light, it can keep the tank warmer(which can be good or bad), it can keep gasses in or out which is both also good and bad. Glass is heavier. Both have their pros and cons.

The orbits do not work on 75g as it is too tall. Current orbit par is severely lacking past 12 inches from the light with red,blue,green,white all set to 100%

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The orbits do not work on 75g as it is too tall. Current orbit par is severely lacking past 12 inches from the light with red,blue,green,white all set to 100%
They work just fine on my 125. My goniopora right on the sandbed... A "a medium to high light coral" for example.
big boy and goniopora.jpg

Last edited:

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a t5 sunpower they are awesome lights and will grow anything you want and the plus side they are very simple!

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I used to have a 29g, but I upgraded to a standard 75g 2 months ago with mesh lids and I’m using 2 Mars Aqua 165W lights. The lights are much cheaper than other lights and I am able to grow any kind of corals!

Pic of my tank:

C48F3CF6-8289-4FDD-9814-237534C15A71.jpeg

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ocean revives are 180 a piece and are enough for sps. However they do not have a strong actinic LED so you do not get as much pop as some others. A SB reef light would also work. T5 is always an option too, but I am more of an LED fan just becaue it produces less heat and last longer. You could also 4 par 38 bulbs.
I have an ocean revive over my frag tank and love it. I found a buy it now listing for this light on ebay for $150. I'm a big fan, and the thing puts out huge numbers. It also comes with multiple hanging options which was a really nice perk.

OP
OP
G

gatortrax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mars aqua
viparspectra
current orbit

Really appreciate the reply. Just came across the name of the Mars lights minutes ago and watched a few videos. Should two 165 watt lights work on a 75? Just not having althe canopy is always an option if I needed to mount lights higher up. Always been skeptival of lights that seem too good to be true but from what I’ve seen of at least the Mars lights, no one has anything bad to say about them. I have a ramp up and ramp down light on my fahaka puffers tank and he seems to enjoy not being blasted by light in the morning so why wouldn’t corals? ;) I’ll look into the orbits and viparspectra as well. Thanks for the information!

OP
OP
G

gatortrax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely agree with the heat part. At the lfs I work at the T5 fixtures are threateningly hot while maintenancing a few of the tanks. Thanks for the suggestions.

OP
OP
G

gatortrax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an ocean revive over my frag tank and love it. I found a buy it now listing for this light on ebay for $150. I'm a big fan, and the thing puts out huge numbers. It also comes with multiple hanging options which was a really nice perk.
Would the one ocean revive fixture be enough for a 75?

OP
OP
G

gatortrax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my AI Prime. This is about 3 months growth between 75 and 150 PAR.

softy growth.jpg
I know AI primes are well respected fixtures. What model(s) would be sufficient for a 75 gallon if I wanted to do mainly softs, lps, and maybe an anenome down the road?

OP
OP
G

gatortrax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a 29g, but I upgraded to a standard 75g 2 months ago with mesh lids and I’m using 2 Mars Aqua 165W lights. The lights are much cheaper than other lights and I am able to grow any kind of corals!

Pic of my tank:

C48F3CF6-8289-4FDD-9814-237534C15A71.jpeg
Absolutely love this look and they’re on a 75. Beautiful tank.

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really appreciate the reply. Just came across the name of the Mars lights minutes ago and watched a few videos. Should two 165 watt lights work on a 75? Just not having althe canopy is always an option if I needed to mount lights higher up. Always been skeptival of lights that seem too good to be true but from what I’ve seen of at least the Mars lights, no one has anything bad to say about them. I have a ramp up and ramp down light on my fahaka puffers tank and he seems to enjoy not being blasted by light in the morning so why wouldn’t corals? ;) I’ll look into the orbits and viparspectra as well. Thanks for the information!

Yeah the MarsAqua and Viparspectra are pretty much the same thing. The Viparspectra has a few extra features compared to the Marsaqua, but they are very close. The Orbits are just nice since they are easy and you don't need any extra timers, mounts,arms,etc since they are on brackets held on by the tank,comes with a temp sensor and is just an overall nice package for the price. Any of the 3 I mentioned will do well and you should be happy with :)

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would the one ocean revive fixture be enough for a 75?
No, you'd need two. As much as I love the light it has some crazy hot spots, but all lights in this price range, built off of a basic black box, do (Mars Aqua, Viparspectra, etc.).

Ya' know what, I just remembered these bad boys: EDIT: Amazon link won't work. Title of the product is Relassy Aquarium Light, 300W Full Spectrum Led Coral Reef Light

Here's a tank lit with them:

They don't put out as much power as they advertise but clearly they'll get results. I think you'd still need 2 of them, but that's a really cheap option.

OP
OP
G

gatortrax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, you'd need two. As much as I love the light it has some crazy hot spots, but all lights in this price range, built off of a basic black box, do (Mars Aqua, Viparspectra, etc.).

Ya' know what, I just remembered these bad boys: EDIT: Amazon link won't work. Title of the product is Relassy Aquarium Light, 300W Full Spectrum Led Coral Reef Light

Here's a tank lit with them:

They don't put out as much power as they advertise but clearly they'll get results. I think you'd still need 2 of them, but that's a really cheap option.

The blues in this Relassy fixture look really nice.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back