Lighting for the nuvo 40 pro

John Bolden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive been looking into the nuvos for a while and want to get one i know they are expensive but i love there style i would need a light what light would you guys suggest.
lights ive been considering:
a ardion xr15 pro
2 ai primes
2 current usa budule
a aqua knight 30w light
give suggestions please
i'm on a tight budget.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You may also want to consider the Noopsyche K7pro2

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Gen3 Radion XR30 on one of mine, and a Gen4 on the other.

I think two XR15s would probably be a better setup, as I do get some uneven coloring on corals that are to the side.

I really don't like the Primes. The mounts are absolutely terrible - you'll find like 9 million threads on here about people dropping them in tanks - that's largely because the mount is a single screw and the foot of the screw can rotate -so if you bump into the mount, the screw loosens and they fall over. And frankly, they're underpowered given how deep the Nuvo40 is. I think I'd put two hydras over it before 2 primes.

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A reefbreeders 24"(it's really 23.5" long ,140 watt) should fit perfect. Has most of the bells and whistles at a better price point than 2 Primes. Also less shadowing. It should be in stock within the next month. A 165watt Viparspectra is fine if you want a light that turns on and off with no ramp time.

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what about this probably won't get this one partially
That's waaaay overpriced. I paid $275 for my Gen3 with a mount (the mounts are $100+ new). That price should get you a gen4 with a mount and diffuser.

This is really a question of what you want. Do you want to pay for control options, and tuning, or do you just care about light? An $1100 Gen5 Radion Xr30 kit isn't going to grow corals any better than a $150 viparspectra - its just going to give you more control of spectrum, and intensity (ramping. lunar cycles, storms,etc).

OP
OP
John Bolden

John Bolden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm i am not a expert on this topic since this is my first reef tank but my dad has a degree in marine biology so i got a little help with the fish and stuff but i want a good light that will last and i can grow corals like torches and leathers . im thinking im going to go with the Noopsyche K7pro2 because they are quality (I determined this by the comments of them) i don't know tho give me suggestions like good deals or other things.should i buy used?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 60 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.4%
Back