Lighting help, and reef advice needed!

Titans831

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon everybuddy!

So I’ve had my tank up and running for three months now. First month I had no idea (still really don’t ) what I was doing but I’ve been slowly figuring it out! Just wanted somone to check my time cycle and tell me or give me any tips on how to better optimize my tank!

Specs:

37 gallon glass tank

with a Fluval reef light

live rock with sand gravel combo

fish/invertabrates:

maroon clown/ lightning maroon

mimic tang/ regular tang

two candy cane shrimp

two emerald crabs

12 zombie snails

14 cleaner snails

why I’m really concerned about lighting as I have

Two black widow BTA s
fuzzy mushroom
Toadstool

Any suggestions or tips on anything about my tank is greatly appreciated!! Especially about lighting!! I will include my light schedule and a recent picture of my tank!! I’m out of town so things have changed a bit but pretty similar!! Thank you very much for your time!

-Max

FC469FA4-A5D3-4122-B485-F65C92782839.jpeg 54273475-7869-4F97-812F-5FE28F296E75.png 67D5DDF3-E9DB-4349-9C43-26D31C3DB189.jpeg

Last edited:

Slawman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Max, your BTA looks well extended and happy, which is a good sign you are going well although at three months your tank is still effectively new. The BTA needs high intensity, quality light. The other animals you have are less demanding light wise.

I am not familiar with the Fluval light but the lighting period and blue/purple priority looks fine in general. How deep is the Anemone? How high is the light? What is it's wattage? The light intensity drops very quickly the deeper down the tank you go so you can consider this when you are placing everything.

OP
OP
Titans831

Titans831

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Max, your BTA looks well extended and happy, which is a good sign you are going well although at three months your tank is still effectively new. The BTA needs high intensity, quality light. The other animals you have are less demanding light wise.

I am not familiar with the Fluval light but the lighting period and blue/purple priority looks fine in general. How deep is the Anemone? How high is the light? What is it's wattage? The light intensity drops very quickly the deeper down the tank you go so you can consider this when you are placing everything.

Thank you so much for replying and I really appreciate the complements!! I’ll be home tomorrow can I find out the other parameters and shoot you a Dm? Again I really appreciate you responding!

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree that the anemone looks ok. My concern is that most tangs need a minimum of a 4ft. long tank and preferably a 6ft tank.

OP
OP
Titans831

Titans831

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree that the anemone looks ok. My concern is that most tangs need a minimum of a 4ft. long tank and preferably a 6ft tank.
Somone at an aquarium store today told me the same thing today actually .. but my local aquarium guy who I get all my fish and advice from told me they were fine? They did a bonding dance when first introduced now the happily follow each other around rarely letting the other get more then a few inches away.. they seem happy and both eat like pigs! Still something I need to worry about?

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somone at an aquarium store today told me the same thing today actually .. but my local aquarium guy who I get all my fish and advice from told me they were fine? They did a bonding dance when first introduced now the happily follow each other around rarely letting the other get more then a few inches away.. they seem happy and both eat like pigs! Still something I need to worry about?
I was told the same thing several years ago so I bought an Atlantic Blue for my 135. Quickly grew to the point where it became the tank bully. These are very likely to grow out of your tank. If you check you will see that most vendors recommend at least 120 gallons for any tang.

OP
OP
Titans831

Titans831

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told the same thing several years ago so I bought an Atlantic Blue for my 135. Quickly grew to the point where it became the tank bully. These are very likely to grow out of your tank. If you check you will see that most vendors recommend at least 120 gallons for any tang.
I really appreciate the heads up! His reasoning behind them being ok was that the scopis tang, and mimic tangs do not get very big? Do they grow realitiviley quickly? Wondering if I can grow them in the 37 g then in a year or so upgrade to a 120 g or bigger! I think they would have a hard time bullying my goldstripe maroon she can be vicious when she wants to lol. Thank you for replying it means a lot!

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if you plan on upgrading in a year the tangs will be just fine especially if they’re small now. If they’re eating good, don’t seem stressed, don’t look sick, I wouldn’t tear them apart. Tang tank size is a hot debate in the hobby some people keep them happily in smaller tanks and some people won’t even buy them for 120g tanks. It’s your tank your money and you know how well you maintain what you have, that being said It’s not worth scolding you over something that varies in opinion. Keep them happy and as they grow know their needs will change. Happy reefing

OP
OP
Titans831

Titans831

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if you plan on upgrading in a year the tangs will be just fine especially if they’re small now. If they’re eating good, don’t seem stressed, don’t look sick, I wouldn’t tear them apart. Tang tank size is a hot debate in the hobby some people keep them happily in smaller tanks and some people won’t even buy them for 120g tanks. It’s your tank your money and you know how well you maintain what you have, that being said It’s not worth scolding you over something that varies in opinion. Keep them happy and as they grow know their needs will change. Happy reefing
dang that made my day!! Thank you for saying that!! They legit seem so happy I’d feel way to bad tearing them apart.. lol. I followed you, would greatly appreciate any advice you could give me in the future!!

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem. I’ve been where you are, I had a sailfin tang and a yellow tang in a 29g when I was newer to the hobby (not fully understanding their swimming likes) they were fine health wise ate fine. They were also the only fish in there. Eventually they grew some and I became more knowledgeable and decided I needed to tear down my tank and gifted them to someone together that had a huge tank. Now I run a 75g with just a single small yellow tang he floats around through the rocks and sometimes sits in front of the power heads. Some will say that’s not ideal but he looks happy and is fat so I’m happy for him. I look at it as some other nut coulda taken him and put him in worse conditions.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back