Lighting Help - Photon V2 vs Kessil A360 or A500

Rovert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need to ask for some help here on my lighting choice.

At this time, I'm running two 32" Photon V2's on top of a CADE1800 - pay no mind to the 'ugly tank' status of post-cycle algae bloom, it's improving. The dimensions of the tank are 72"L x 24"H x 24"W for a total of about 170 gallons in-tank. My goal is to eventually go to a SPS dominant mixed reef, with Maximas in the long term.

Though the ReefBreeder arrays are very effective, and I very much like the ability to individually mix and match the 6 separate channels I miss the point-source 'glitter' that I used to get from my MH lights. I also don't particularly care for the OEM mounting bracket system that intrudes on the view or the large klunky panels overhead.

To remedy that, I was going to build a 'gantry' out of 80/20 aluminum and suspend the light bars above the tank by 8" or so. But by the time I get done with the $300+ expense of all the aluminum extrusion strong enough to mount the two 40 pound units above the tank, I'm beginning to wonder whether just replacing them with two or three Kessils with the mounting bars affixed to the rear of the tank might not be a more elegant solution. Also, since I plan to control the system with either an Apex or Hydros, the upgraded driver boards for the Photons would add yet another $200 to the solution, bringing the total to some $600+ to keep the ReefBreeder units.

My question gets to which is the better lighting system, PAR-for-PAR, to bring out the best in the corals, and my enjoyment.

Two Kessil A500's
Three Kessil A360's
Stay with the ReefBreeder arrays

GO!

20220712_150837.jpg

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need to ask for some help here on my lighting choice.

At this time, I'm running two 32" Photon V2's on top of a CADE1800. The dimensions of the tank are 72"L x 24"H x 24"W for a total of about 170 gallons in-tank. My goal is to eventually go to a SPS dominant mixed reef, with Maximas in the long term.

Though the ReefBreeder arrays are very effective, and I very much like the ability to individually mix and match the 6 separate channels I miss the point-source 'glitter' that I used to get from my MH lights. I also don't particularly care for the OEM mounting bracket system that intrudes on the view or the large klunky panels overhead.

To remedy that, I was going to build a 'gantry' out of 80/20 aluminum and suspend the light bars above the tank by 8" or so. But by the time I get done with the $300+ expense of all the aluminum extrusion strong enough to mount the two 40 pound units above the tank, I'm beginning to wonder whether just replacing them with two or three Kessils with the mounting bars affixed to the rear of the tank might not be a more elegant solution. Also, since I plan to control the system with either an Apex or Hydros, the upgraded driver boards for the Photons would add yet another $200 to the solution, bringing the total to some $600+ to keep the ReefBreeder units.

My question gets to which is the better lighting system, PAR-for-PAR, to bring out the best in the corals, and my enjoyment.

Two Kessil A500's
Three Kessil A360's
Stay with the ReefBreeder arrays

GO!
I’m running a similarly sized tank. The 360s will not be sufficient, nor will only two 500s. The 500s are really limited to 24x24 at 24 deep without a reflector at about 9 inches above the water. I’m running three 500s with t5s which is great for an acro dominated mixed reef. If it was a full blown acro tank, I believe a fourth 500 would be needed. The 360 doesn’t really have the punch to reach a 24 deep tank, a typical 18 no problem. Also, they really need to be spaced closer at about 16 to 18 inches. That’s my honest opinion for you.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope this doesn't turn into a negative, but I'd like to offer a 3rd option.

I run 4 ledzeal.com mirage x200 superblue lights over my 8x3x2 400g. They are running at a peak of 35% per channel and I get 300 par across the bottom at that setting.

Lights are 14 inches off the water.

Here is a link so you can see the shimmer I get with them.

The x200 are 24x9 inch. The x300 are 35x9inch.

Cost is less then the v2, has wifi app control too.

Attachments

• 20220131_141657.jpg
    20220131_141657.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 37

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 146 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back