Lighting intensity questions (Red Sea LED 90)

dnprall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(this is a cross post; forgive me this is looked down upon)

My tank was set up in December 2022 and when my LFS did so, they used the 15K program but at 50% intensity (not the 100% like the default program is set).

I'm looking at the PAR mapping done by Bulk Reef Supply on the 24" cube tank (mine is a little smaller) ( https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/cont...his-is-the-red-sea-reefled-brstv-investigates ). They ran the 15K preset at 100% intensity. Looks like even at 6 inches below the surface in the center, an SPS might be happy but there doesn't appear enough PAR further from center. This might explain why a small SPS failed on me (one of several things I'm sure) since the PAR at 50% likely was not nearly enough.

My question: Do I run the risk of harming my tank by just doing the 15K preset at 100% intensity? I'm not sure why my LFS started at 50%. Any pros/cons? Increase risk of algae/cyano/etc? (I have some cyano right now).

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think so? I think it will be fine. Also, algae (and cyano) are not limited by light in a properly lit reef aquarium. I probably wouldn't jump straight to 100% from 50%, so an acclimation would be better

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 147 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back