Lighting large tanks - at what point do you go commercial?

OP
OP
BackToTheReef

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting ready to move to Wisconsin so I am leaving behind the decent aquarium scene here (I worked at a large LFS here in Columbus years ago).

Just started looking at reflectors and ballasts. Like the Cayman Sun double ended fixtures (for some reason I remember HQI bulbs had some advantages over mogul bases) and dig the Reef Brite dimmable/controller friendly ballast but not sure the two would work together!! (Thinking 400W over the 1000W though, those 1000W bulbs just scare me!)

When I was in the hobby years ago there was a great write up on Reef Central or one of the other forums (or book or magazine or something) about a massive plywood tank. The builder/author used a couple layers of ply, a homemade filler of sawdust and glue for seams, screw heads, and corners, 4" fiberglass for seams and corners, then large sheets of glass for the "body" of the tank, then multiple layers of epoxy. I want to go that route and build a bomb proof tank, especially now that I am looking at a goofy shape. LVLs for the "stand", frame, and support/bracing.

I've been looking at using Red Dragon's for my closed loops b/c I like the thought of being able to set up a flow schedule to ramp up/down to coincide with my lighting, tides, moon...I dunno. If I can save some cash in lighting I can shift that to being able to do the flow things without going "cheap."

The sea sweeps look like a different way of achieving that sweeping flow like a sea swirl. Is the Tunze 6255 the giant one?

I wouldn't count on 1000w MH being around forever (at least in terms of their practical use over reef aquariums). There were always fewer options in this wattage to begin with and some of the stadium light manufacturers have dropped out (Hubbel for example) in favor of LED fixtures (lamp choices have also dwindled). The maxspect floodlights have two channel color/intensity control (plus you select the kelvin temp when you purchase) and are very reliable. I agree on the spread and need for more LED fixtures vs MH (so don't expect much in the way of electrical savings). There are a few big reefs using the maxspects out there. The Orphek Amazonas are a good option, smaller form factor, controlled by apex. They seem more reliable than the Atlantiks. I don't know anyone with a mature reef using them long term but they are worth the look.

I saw Tidal gardens video on the Orpheks. I looked at them quick but haven't dug into them too much, definitely look interesting!! I think I like them a little better than the Maxspects.

Steve H

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Amazonas put out impressive PAR numbers. I have grown corals under the maxspects for 3 years and for about 4 months on the Amazonas. There are several high end reefs using the Maxspects so I would consider them more "proven" but the price of the Amazonas make them an attractive option. For flow I would look at Hydrowizard ECM63. Abyzz might be a good option for a closed loop or return pump as well.

OP
OP
BackToTheReef

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Amazonas put out impressive PAR numbers. I have grown corals under the maxspects for 3 years and for about 4 months on the Amazonas. There are several high end reefs using the Maxspects so I would consider them more "proven" but the price of the Amazonas make them an attractive option. For flow I would look at Hydrowizard ECM63. Abyzz might be a good option for a closed loop or return pump as well.

Not sure I'll be able to mount the hydrowizard on the tank. It'll also have a DSB so I don't want to create a dust storm in the tank. My thought was to use a series of closed loops and run the outlets through the aquascape to be able to create flow in those tough to reach spots. Trying to not focus on just the GPH but making sure I get flow to all areas. The whole 'L' might complicate this a little more. Especially given the length of each side! (Pending based on actual dimensions I have to work with)

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You cannot get double ended stuff in 400 watt anymore. It is going to have to be single ended if you go that way. If you need answers, call Dave at Hamilton. The smaller ones 12" will punch down more and the larger 20" ones will spread more... 14 or 16 inch reflectors are a good compromise.

Red Dragon and Abyzz are like toys next to an AmpMaster or other large AC pump. Yes, the sea sweeps are like a sea swirl except they move a Tunze pump back and forth instead of a return... awesome, randomish flow especially for tanks where magnets will not work too well.

@scchase is a friend of mine who has built massive plywood tanks. No idea if he has a build thread, but maybe he will chime in and tell us. He uses MH and has dealt with most of these issues.

OP
OP
BackToTheReef

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You cannot get double ended stuff in 400 watt anymore. It is going to have to be single ended if you go that way. If you need answers, call Dave at Hamilton. The smaller ones 12" will punch down more and the larger 20" ones will spread more... 14 or 16 inch reflectors are a good compromise.

Red Dragon and Abyzz are like toys next to an AmpMaster or other large AC pump. Yes, the sea sweeps are like a sea swirl except they move a Tunze pump back and forth instead of a return... awesome, randomish flow especially for tanks where magnets will not work too well.

@scchase is a friend of mine who has built massive plywood tanks. No idea if he has a build thread, but maybe he will chime in and tell us. He uses MH and has dealt with most of these issues.

The Cayman is a 12x12, looks like hamilton has 400W DE bulbs on their site. Definitely want the punch down but a compromise is good too. Trying to avoid needing to put multiple rows of anything over this thing if possible. I do wish there were coverage areas and such listed for MHs like we now have for LEDs (I know I know...so much depends on mounting height, etc.)

scchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my build thread,
I cant even imagine doing LEDs on such a large set up, after running the numbers on my setup I would have to get somewhere better than 10 years of use out of any LEDs I would buy to even begin to recoup my money.

OP
OP
BackToTheReef

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In Wisconsin heat shouldn’t be an issue for you I wouldn’t imagine. Isn’t it pretty cold there year round?

In theory, from what I hear, yes. Especially where I will be (central/north central) but I don't have any 1st hand knowledge. The tank being in the basement should help temp wise as well but could make ventilation somewhat challenging. Though I have a few solutions as long as the building envelope cooperates.

Here is my build thread,
I cant even imagine doing LEDs on such a large set up, after running the numbers on my setup I would have to get somewhere better than 10 years of use out of any LEDs I would buy to even begin to recoup my money.

Thanks for linking your build thread, I'm going to cruise through it. The more I think about it the more metal halides make sense, even with the drawbacks. Especially as I get more input from folks who have been there done that.

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you should check out as many “behind the scenes” youtube videos from public aquaria and see what they are using. Search Joe Yaiullo for the Long Island 20k gallon tank... he talks lighting in a few of those videos. I think in the 2017 one they were experimenting with LED over that tank for the first time.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 75 35.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back