LED Light recommendations for 6' tank

reelss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Waterbox 220.6 (Tank size: 72.3"×25.3"×23.6") and want to make a move on from two Orphek Atlantik v4s that have been running the tank for a couple of years. I am strongly considering the Orphek Icons, but not sure if they have the same fail rate as the Atlantiks. I am open to considering other options and am looking for recommendations.

Budget: Around $1600.
Corals: Softies, LPS, eventually want to get into SPS.

Birdman Broham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I have 3 Kessil A160 tuna blues. There awesome, check out my build thread if you wanna see how they look!

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Waterbox 220.6 (Tank size: 72.3"×25.3"×23.6") and want to make a move on from two Orphek Atlantik v4s that have been running the tank for a couple of years. I am strongly considering the Orphek Icons, but not sure if they have the same fail rate as the Atlantiks. I am open to considering other options and am looking for recommendations.

Budget: Around $1600.
Corals: Softies, LPS, eventually want to get into SPS.
I received my Icons on Monday. I really like them. But you got me nervous with the Atlantiks. What's wrong with them?

OP
OP
reelss

reelss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received my Icons on Monday. I really like them. But you got me nervous with the Atlantiks. What's wrong with them?
The atlantiks are notorious for leds going out and channels failing (search the forums and you'll see that). I am told that they have fixed those issues in the icons (better fan and heat dissipation).

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The atlantiks are notorious for leds going out and channels failing (search the forums and you'll see that). I am told that they have fixed those issues in the icons (better fan and heat dissipation).
I have Icon bars. They do not get hot at all. My older hydras I was not able to touch. I guess with the bars heat is distributed over a larger area so they stay relatively cool. I mounted them on the canopy of my 6' 125g. Had to spread them out a bit.

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
interesting...how do they compare with radions or orpheks?
I am setting up a 220.6 also. Just tested some Radions and the Reefi.

OP
OP
reelss

reelss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a 220.6 also. Just tested some Radions and the Reefi.

thanks for sharing. How many xr30s do you recommend on that size tank?

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
From a par and blanket coverage perspective, 2 XR30 or 4 XR15 is sufficient. I believe the XR30 vs XR15 par difference may be due more to the lens spread of the G6 (XR15 is G6 and XR30 is G5).

The bigger issue is going to be shadow reduction. The front-back width of the XR15 and XR30 is actually the exact same. The left-right width of the led array of 2 XR15 and 1 XR30 are almost the same. So the difference is that you can push the 2 XR15 slightly apart to gain more shadow reduction.

Of course more XR30 would give more shadow reduction, especially if you do 4 of them mounted front-back.

Another interesting option would be to get 5 XR15 with the RMS mounting arms. The arms come with a short and long track piece. Use the short track on 3 of the lights and the long on 2 of the lights in an alternating pattern. This will give additional lateral coverage.

A Kessil a360x is nice in the middle because it gives some shimmer and the Kessil mounting arm fits the optional waterbox cutout overflow lid (RMS screw gets in the way)

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 51 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back