Lighting - My game is equal to the Bad News Bears

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I added an MXM module and had to add my lights to Mobius. Nothing is the same since then (same for my flow, but I think I have that under control). I had a real struggle with my lights though and in doing research I think I discovered I have potentially be doing a ton wrong, lighting wise.

I went and purchased an Apogee 510 so I don't have to try and "eyeball" anything, basically no more guessing.

So, I went and watched:

And now I am left not sure what to do. I currently have 2 Hydra 32's and a 64 on this RSM500. I have a reefer 250 just coming out of dark cure that had the 64 on it (it came with the tank as a package). The RSM for a while had a Hydra 26 in the center of the 2 32's. That was a horrible setup as the 32's are BT and the 26 is Wifi and the lighting was NEVER the same, the times were never exact, it was exceptionally noticeable and the operational control sucked. So, as you can see from the photos, I added the 64 to the right side of my tank and put the 32's to the left.

I am getting about 350-400 where the birds next is, about 200 on the tops of the rocks. But fast forward to now, after setting up the MXM....

I lost my lighting schedule and moving to Apex control had me have to manually add my program, which led me to doing some research. I see that my stock mount @ 8 inches, is about 4 to 6 inches too low, based on either the 32 or the 64, as I see these perform ideally at different heights and neither are achievable with my mount. And, with this tank, I think my only option is ceiling mount, which is the ONE THING my wife will not support, out of all the crazy **** I do, she doesn't want to see something suspended from the ceiling. Considering she lets me have science projects all over the house, I have to accommodate her one request.

I have been toying with starting over, lighting wise. I've looked at SKY, Radions, etc. I really like what is out there, but I am not 100% sold that I need to reboot my lighting game. But, I can also tell you, I am need some help in thinking through using my currently tools and if so, what light parameters can be recommended. Obviously I would prefer not to buy new lights, I would much rather try and figure out how to use what I have. I am going to plumb a frag tank into this system. I am wondering if it is as simple as getting a 3rd 32 and suspending the 64 over the frag tank (lowboy).

Thoughts? Any recommendations on a proven lighting plan that I can set and forget? Also, should the lens all be pointed in the same pattern?

I just woke my tank up for these pics...

IMG_1417.jpg IMG_1418.jpg IMG_1419.jpg IMG_1420.jpg

OP
OP
W

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
bump -

Ultimately trying to decide new lights or not, Sky vs Radion (G5) and if I stay with AI, do I just add a Hydra 32, and how do I come up with a light scheme that works well? (Generally speaking on light schedule).

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 35.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back