Lighting: new to LED

AubreyLin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just got 2 Kessil A160WE pendants today, and I have a few questions. For background: My tank is mixed Reef 75gal, standard dimensions 48x20x18, mostly softies and LPS. I’ve been running 2 250W MH’s and 4 T5’s for 8 years on this tank with success, but I really like the look of the LED’s and am interested in saving some $ and reducing heat output in my living room.
1.)How high should I hang them above water level? 2.)To supplement with T5’s or not? (I was planning on running 2 48” T5’s with the Kessils.)
3.)And then can those of you that use these post some pics of what you have programmed on your controllers so I can get an idea of where to start?
4.) Going from MH to LED (without a par meter) what’s a safe starting point for intensity?

D0AA8136-F4A4-4A5C-A9D2-DD0D5A3283E2.jpeg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there!
With those lights you'll want to mount them 6-8" off the waters surface and turn them up pretty high given the size of your tank. Long term you may want to consider getting a third light for proper coverage and to reduce shadowing. Or supplement with T5's as you stated. I'd start out at around 40-50% intensity and turn it up gradually by 5%-10% weekly until you find a sweet spot that your corals like depended on how high up in the tank they are :)
As far as programming, it all depends on when you view your tank and when you want the lights to kick on and kick off. A good start (and the schedule I use) is to start at 10AM at 0% Color %5 Intensity then at 12PM 30%Color and 30% Intensity 1PM 50% Color and 40% Intensity 5PM 50% Color 40% Intensity 7PM 30% Color 30% Intensity and then 8PM 0% Color 0% Intensity (off) This is just sort of a base line, you can tweek it to your liking :) And for the 1PM and the 5PM intensities, these are the ones you'll be gradually increasing over the comming weeks until you find the spot your corals like. If it looks like they're unhappy, dial it back by 10% and give it another week.

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have those lights and changed them out for an AP700. It is a good idea to use the T5s to supplement the A160s. I switch for stronger lights but these were good as well. You should be good for a softy/LPS tank with these. There is an acclimation setting for them on the controller. Unfortunately, I don't have any pics of my previous program. I believe I ramped up to 60% for 4 hours for my mixed reef. 8 - 10 inches off the surface is good. You really have to play with it to find the right intensity for your tank. Although these are smaller lights, you can still bleach corals if you are not carefull. T5 with LEDs is the way to go.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back