lighting opinion

czieler

Reefin' Girl
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have VHOs in my 65 gallon...which are 3ft long...four bulbs...two blue ... two white ( don't know the specifics )

My new tank is 6ft long...should I look for a good deal on another 3ft long vho setup...or switch to MHs?

I like the crisp white look of the VHOs..and all my corals do well under them...except I don't like the colors of some zoanthids...

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmmm.. 6' long tank... what's the exact dimension of the new tank?

man, 3 250 DE MH would be nice.. but that's just me... since I upgraded to the DE's, I don't know if I can ever go back to SE's...

more info would help, I'm sure.. ;)

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what does de and se stand for?

it is 72x18x28

28" height right?

I would really go MH if it was me.... you'll also get the shimmering effect, which I love.. again, just my opinion... ;)

(3) 250w MH DE w/ 14k Phoenix bulbs and T5's for dusk/dawn effect..

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was URi sells 6ft VHOs at I think 170w a bulb, but you will find it hard to get bulb on-line for that size unless you have a local or a supplier you can go through. I think MH would be your best option and get you best penetration of light into the water.....Fluorescents don't penetrate that deep with the intensity you will be looking for. Also fluorescent are so defused with their spectrum and par that you will be unhappy staying with them. Even T-5s although better technically then VHo are still diffused because of the fluorescent nature of the bulb....MH are the way to go, start with 2 and you can always add 1 as you go and save up....

OP
OP
czieler

czieler

Reefin' Girl
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I did do vho's I was thinking that I'd just get another 3ft setup..and run them side by side...rather than doing 6ft bulbs...

I'll have to keep my eye out for pricing on both. I was hoping one of the two LFS stores w/ bad websites would want to trade a new website for lights...but they don't seem interested... sigh...

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew somebody had them..I forgot all about Premiumaquatics....Usually will have to pay a litttle bit more for shipping because of the size of the bulbs.....

OP
OP
czieler

czieler

Reefin' Girl
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't take my 3ft setup and put 6 ft bulbs in there ( spacing the endcaps out more ) ... right? Figured I'd ask...but doubting that's something that would work...

geoxman

hemp farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What ballast are you running? In icecap 660? Then-yes you could just space them out, depending on how many bulbs you ran.
To trade some web design for $50 worth of bulbs seems to me like you would be getting the short end of the stick. Good luck!

OP
OP
czieler

czieler

Reefin' Girl
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually get the short end of the stick...heh.

I just purchased three pendants w/ 10k bulbs ... my business partner w/ insanecorals said this would have the white light..not blue ( I don't care for the blue tint)..that I wanted..they'll be here mon or tues..even though my tank is going up tomorrow...

Last edited:

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 60 31.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 49 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 39 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 20.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%

Back