Lighting options for a 40 breeder

Phish2coralreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to upgrade my lighting setup on my 40 breeder tank, currently a softie LPS mixed. I am considering either 2 AI prime HD's or the new Hydra 32's. This tank probably wont have any SPS but I figure if I ever do i could add a third prime. Basically just wondering personal opinions on if I should spend the extra and go with the Hydras. (Also open to other suggestions besides these)

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 primes on my 40b on a modified ab+ lighting schedule.
Get about 85% of tank can grow sps this way.
One of the primes has a diffuser on it, was testing the difference lol.

OP
OP
Phish2coralreef

Phish2coralreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 primes on my 40b on a modified ab+ lighting schedule.
Get about 85% of tank can grow sps this way.
One of the primes has a diffuser on it, was testing the difference lol.
I think that's probably the way to go. What kind of results did you see with the diffuser?

William Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two AI Prime HD's over my drilled 40B. I have since updated this tank to an SPS grow out tank in the picture below this one. Just got it setup a couple days ago and first frags going in today or tomorrow.

IMG_20190723_174542.jpg

received_655860951828180.jpeg

William Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! Do you like the flexible mounts?

Nope not at all lol... I just happened to have these two from two other tanks. There is some "flexibility" in having them though in a grow out tank. I can concentrate light on a particular area if I like and reduce it in others for corals not wanting/needing stronger PAR levels

OP
OP
Phish2coralreef

Phish2coralreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope not at all lol... I just happened to have these two from two other tanks. There is some "flexibility" in having them though in a grow out tank. I can concentrate light on a particular area if I like and reduce it in others for corals not wanting/needing stronger PAR levels
I was kinda thinking on going with the solid tank mounts, or ceiling if I really wanted to. But the solid mounts seem like the way to go to me.

William Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was kinda thinking on going with the solid tank mounts, or ceiling if I really wanted to. But the solid mounts seem like the way to go to me.
I would go with the solid mounts personally. The ceiling mounts are so long unless you put them on a rail mount system that the light sways easily. Even the A/C system can cause them to sway when it turns on.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 8 13.1%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 11 18.0%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 39 63.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back