Lighting Q for reef tank

awin08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
I have an established (2 yr) currently fish only tank which I'd like to start adding coral to. but im stuck on lighting.
this is my son's tank, just a small 37gal bow front. currently using the same bulb it came with from the pet store. it has mated pair clowns, a mandarin, and a yasha goby. I thought I'd begin with some soft coral.

do you think I could just get a bulb replacement that goes in the lid like this Here ? or do I need to get something like a SBOX PRO? I just don't know what I'd do about the lid situation if I got a light attachment.

Any suggestions are very much appreciated.

Last edited:

RandyL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum! Unfortunately, I don’t know anything about that particular light but I can see it says that it promotes coral growth, so it seems like it‘s reasonable to try (assuming it fits in the hood). Lighting is certainly important, but you may want to also think about the circulation in the tank. Sufficient water movement is also very important for corals.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

awin08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum! Unfortunately, I don’t know anything about that particular light but I can see it says that it promotes coral growth, so it seems like it‘s reasonable to try (assuming it fits in the hood). Lighting is certainly important, but you may want to also think about the circulation in the tank. Sufficient water movement is also very important for corals.
hello! I appreciate the reply!
For filtration I'm using my old canister filter right now from my old 175 gal. and I have two circulation pumps. do you think that's enough?

Upvote 0

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes welcome!
I'd probably ditch the lid and go with a black box light. There are many inexpensive options available.
If you post that in the lighting forum the experts will chime in. That's not me.
As for flow, what are you running?
Pictures are great too.
And,like I said, welcome Welcome to R2R!

Upvote 0

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back