Lighting question and help for SPS tank

Mark75g

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 175gallon bow front that is full of sps. The current lighting is a All In One 3-250w metal halides with 14k phenix bulbs and 2-39w blue plus and 2-39w coral plus bulbs. I used to have another retro fit t5 fixture that had 2 54w t5 bulbs but has since crapped the bed. I was thinking of maybe adding a reefbrite XHO light onto the fixture to bring some more color of the corals.

Does anyone have this type of setup or experience with adding the reefbrite strip. Or should i just leave the setup the way it is.

IMG_1067.JPG

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a reefbrite would be a great addition for some added pop. You won't notice it much when the halides are on but if you use it during dusk with the t5's it would add a lot of visual jam.

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@90's reefer does something similar, but he's using the Orphek LED's instead of the ReefBrites. He can probably give his experience with something similar. I'm still supplementing my halides with VHO. I haven't switched to LED supplement yet. But since upgrading to the 14K DE bulbs a month ago or so, I don't need my VHO's on while the halides are on. You couldn't even tell the VHO's were running. So unless you aren't happy with how your T5's look when the halides are off, I wouldn't bother changing. Of course, @90's reefer may have a different opinion....

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 11 68.8%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 6.3%
Back