Lighting Question

MarkS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi new to Reefing will be getting my Red Sea Reefer 350 in about 6 - 8 weeks. I haven't paid for it yet so if there are any concerns or feedback about this tank let me know.

My Lighting question is what should I go for - Led or T5's, what is the best brand to get.

Planning to have a lot of Corals and a few fish so want to get the best possible within a reasonable budget.

I am in New Zealand so we don't have the extensive range the US or UK have - any advice will be welcome.

This Forum is far more informative than the books I have taken out of the library so far.

TY Mark

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a topic where everyone is going to have their own opinion.

Personally, I'm a fan of LEDs - with AI Hydras being my favorite. I also like the Ecotech Radions, but the AIs are more affordable.

USMC 4 LIFE

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a topic where everyone is going to have their own opinion.

Personally, I'm a fan of LEDs - with AI Hydras being my favorite. I also like the Ecotech Radions, but the AIs are more affordable.

Agree 100% lights are personal preference. I enjoy LEDs for visual reasons and their controllability. I have a Kessil AP700 but I've also heard great things from people who own other LEDs.

T5 lights are also great. They are reliable in knowing that they can easily support a variety of corals.

Again it's about finding what really draws your eyes along with a couple of other preferences. Find out what lights are available to you and see if you can see them in person first hand. Best of luck

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree 100% lights are personal preference. I enjoy LEDs for visual reasons and their controllability. I have a Kessil AP700 but I've also heard great things from people who own other LEDs.

T5 lights are also great. They are reliable in knowing that they can easily support a variety of corals.

Again it's about finding what really draws your eyes along with a couple of other preferences. Find out what lights are available to you and see if you can see them in person first hand. Best of luck
I had not seen any of the Kessil AP700 lights in person until RAP in Orlando a couple weeks a go, I have to say they are an awesome light. But a little out of the price range for a humble high school teacher, Especially since I would need 3 over my 125. :)

USMC 4 LIFE

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had not seen any of the Kessil AP700 lights in person until RAP in Orlando a couple weeks a go, I have to say they are an awesome light. But a little out of the price range for a humble high school teacher, Especially since I would need 3 over my 125. :)

Yeah they are a bit pricy. How long is your 125?

cjd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It comes down to what look you want. Do you like the look of T5's . Do you want the shimmer of leds . People have success with so many options , there is no right or wrong way really. Just provide enough light and enough units for overall coverage . People have good results with cheap eBay leds all the way to the new generation Radions. With a 6 foot tank and a limited budget I would choose the tried and true ATI T 5 fixture. Best bang for the buck . If you can swing it ,you could start with two AP700's at 15 to 18 inches off the water line ( but that's still a chunk of $change$). I am about to put the spread of one on a 4 foot tank at that height to the test. It will be incorporated with T5's on both sides in a floating canopy ....just cause I like T5's and that kessil shimmer ....

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't decide between Kessil a360 and metal halide. I ended up doing one of a each, one Kessil and one halide 250w 20k. I love it! I place SPS Coral under the halide and the rest under the Kessil. The light blends quite well. Hybrid is the best of both worlds.

cjd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
defiantly not mine ... im drooling over here though ;Drool ! Two AP700 over a 6 foot tank , ya I think the coverage looks pretty good.

kessil ap700.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back