Lighting Question

Discussion in 'New to Saltwater & Reef Aquariums? Post Here' started by MarkS, May 19, 2017.

1. MarkS

MarkS Member

Hi new to Reefing will be getting my Red Sea Reefer 350 in about 6 - 8 weeks. I haven't paid for it yet so if there are any concerns or feedback about this tank let me know.

My Lighting question is what should I go for - Led or T5's, what is the best brand to get.

Planning to have a lot of Corals and a few fish so want to get the best possible within a reasonable budget.

I am in New Zealand so we don't have the extensive range the US or UK have - any advice will be welcome.

This Forum is far more informative than the books I have taken out of the library so far.

TY Mark

Tags:
  2. Js.Aqua.Project

Js.Aqua.Project Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

This is a topic where everyone is going to have their own opinion.

Personally, I'm a fan of LEDs - with AI Hydras being my favorite. I also like the Ecotech Radions, but the AIs are more affordable.

USMC 4 LIFE likes this.
  3. USMC 4 LIFE

USMC 4 LIFE Well-Known Member

Agree 100% lights are personal preference. I enjoy LEDs for visual reasons and their controllability. I have a Kessil AP700 but I've also heard great things from people who own other LEDs.

T5 lights are also great. They are reliable in knowing that they can easily support a variety of corals.

Again it's about finding what really draws your eyes along with a couple of other preferences. Find out what lights are available to you and see if you can see them in person first hand. Best of luck

4. Js.Aqua.Project

I had not seen any of the Kessil AP700 lights in person until RAP in Orlando a couple weeks a go, I have to say they are an awesome light. But a little out of the price range for a humble high school teacher, Especially since I would need 3 over my 125. :)

USMC 4 LIFE likes this.
  5. USMC 4 LIFE

USMC 4 LIFE Well-Known Member

Yeah they are a bit pricy. How long is your 125?

Js.Aqua.Project likes this.
  6. Js.Aqua.Project

6', but it is rimmed so I have two braces going across the middle.

7. cjd

cjd Well-Known Member

It comes down to what look you want. Do you like the look of T5's . Do you want the shimmer of leds . People have success with so many options , there is no right or wrong way really. Just provide enough light and enough units for overall coverage . People have good results with cheap eBay leds all the way to the new generation Radions. With a 6 foot tank and a limited budget I would choose the tried and true ATI T 5 fixture. Best bang for the buck . If you can swing it ,you could start with two AP700's at 15 to 18 inches off the water line ( but that's still a chunk of $change$). I am about to put the spread of one on a 4 foot tank at that height to the test. It will be incorporated with T5's on both sides in a floating canopy ....just cause I like T5's and that kessil shimmer ....

8. Liquid360

Liquid360 Well-Known Member

I couldn't decide between Kessil a360 and metal halide. I ended up doing one of a each, one Kessil and one halide 250w 20k. I love it! I place SPS Coral under the halide and the rest under the Kessil. The light blends quite well. Hybrid is the best of both worlds.

9. cjd

cjd Well-Known Member

defiantly not mine ... im drooling over here though ;Drool ! Two AP700 over a 6 foot tank , ya I think the coverage looks pretty good.

kessil ap700.jpg

Liquid360 likes this.