Lighting Question

ReefGamer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello al! New to the forums but have read a lot from the threads on question I have that others have posted.

My question regarding light is on my 48x24x24 120 gallon mixed reef tank, I own Marine Orbit PRO IC dual BT Led 48 inch lights.

If I asked anyone they would say these are inadequate to say the least for some LPS and all SPS. I have been running them for months and all LPS have been growing at a good pace ( acan, GSP, Huge duncan colony, zoas, mushrooms, frogspawn, hammer, torch, palythoas..). I have one single acropora on my highest rock which is about 9 inches from the top of the water( one month now). This acro was blue and purple and recently it is blue and orange ( I think it may be browning from lack of light?). I see full polyp extension on this acro.

My two questions are:
1. I run 100% blue and only 30% white for the Daylight, all LPS are doing great, Should I raise the whites up for the Acro and will this negatively affect the lps?
2. If everyone says I need to get rid of it for KEssil/Radion/AI if I want to grow coral or any SPS then why is it working not even running the lights close to maxxed out? or is it going to eventually stop working for these coral in a near future?

Sorry for the long post.. Thanks for any feedback! :)

OP
OP
ReefGamer

ReefGamer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I should keep it 100 blues and 30 whites? The torch on the bottom seems to extend its tentacles very long, I turned it up to 40% two days ago, everything seems the same.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Where lighting is at is a great starting point. You’ll increase whites as coral needs call for it

OP
OP
ReefGamer

ReefGamer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all! I am looking for someone who can lend me a par meter. My main question was why everyone is telling others with the same light and myself on facebook that it is not good enough when it seems that it is. Being told not to max it out says a lot to me. I am not being facetious, just wondering if over a certain time, the light wont meet the demands as they are now. ALso, the way the acro seems to be slightly browning making me want to amp the lights up.

The light sits right on top of the tank rim, which is one reason I think it may be working enough.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 13 21.0%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 21 33.9%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 17 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back