Fluval Sea Marine 3.0 Question

Kurt73

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running this light plus a separate 100% blue light. I have heard the Fluval still uses white lights in all the colors even if you turn the white to 5% and the blue and purple to 100%. Can I run two marine blue spectrum lights and not run any white light or do I need some white?

I have a blastamussa, mushroom and green star polyps.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am running this light plus a separate 100% blue light. I have heard the Fluval still uses white lights in all the colors even if you turn the white to 5% and the blue and purple to 100%. Can I run two marine blue spectrum lights and not run any white light or do I need some white?

I have a blastamussa, mushroom and green star polyps.
Well if your white is set to 5%. . . not 0%. . . then yes you are still using the white lights.

Why do you want the white lights off? / Why do you want to go only blue?

Coral "favor" blue light, but use a bunch of other spectrums as well, to varying degrees.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank and what size light? The Fluval Marine 3.0 will work for those corals but you'll likely want to stick with low light corals. The majority of the light's power is in its white channel, so if you are going blue only, I'd get two of them. Big chunk of change though.

OP
OP
K

Kurt73

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the late response. I fighting green dust algae and waa thinking the white lights might be causing it. Tank is a 45gal and is only 4.5 months old.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want all channels set to 100% with that light

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the cost for each one of those light for a 45g? I seem to recall a small one for Fluval Evo running near $200. For a bigger one, it's got to be $300-$400, right?

You'd be better served getting Noopsyche lights for the tank. Lower price but way way more powerful. What they lack in App quality and horrible wifi compatibility, they make up for in excellent spectrum and power.

paragrouper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the late response. I fighting green dust algae and waa thinking the white lights might be causing it. Tank is a 45gal and is only 4.5 months old.
I used these on my tank until I replaced them with Orphek. I used two lights on my 32 Gallon. I had softies and LPS.

I ran the blues at 60%, violet and cyan at 40%, whites at 5% and red at 3%. With this I got good coral growth. I certainly wouldn’t try SPS with these lights though.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back