Question about lighting

tdam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi, so I'm running some really old AI sol blues over my LPS tank. I'm not sure how old they are, since I bought them used. They do the job, since I just mostly run blues. I also have an orphek blue bar.

I am thinking about upgrading to some G5 radions. But will spending the money make any sense? Will the radions make my corals pop more? Or be better for growth? Again, it's just an LPS system with zoas and torches. What your opinion?

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In my experience, nothing makes coral pop the way those old Sol Blue fixtures used to. I still have an sol blue nano, that works fine. The sols had excellent heat transfer, which keeps the LED's healthy. If you are having luck with the older lights, I'd say skip the Radions. I'm saying this as a Radion G5, Kessil and AI Hydra 64 owner. You hear a lot about how great the Radions are for coral farms growth / color and such, but consider the skill of the staff running those farms. You can have great success with any LED fixture with enough power and correct spectrum, if you focus on water quality, flow and all of the fundamentals. Stability is king, when it comes to color and growth.

OP
OP
T

tdam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In my experience, nothing makes coral pop the way those old Sol Blue fixtures used to. I still have an sol blue nano, that works fine. The sols had excellent heat transfer, which keeps the LED's healthy. If you are having luck with the older lights, I'd say skip the Radions. I'm saying this as a Radion G5, Kessil and AI Hydra 64 owner. You hear a lot about how great the Radions are for coral farms growth / color and such, but consider the skill of the staff running those farms. You can have great success with any LED fixture with enough power and correct spectrum, if you focus on water quality, flow and all of the fundamentals. Stability is king, when it comes to color and growth.
thanks for the reply. my question is if the radions have better color spectrum that will bring out more colors on the corals. Like, the ai's just have blue and royal blue. But the radions have cyan and violet spectrums.

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Funny you ask. I have dialed down most of the cyan and violet. Personally feel they wash out the coral color, but some people enjoy it. Suppose it is up to your taste. Like I said, I found those old AI Sol's REALLY made the fluorescent pigments in coral pop, once they were healthy and settled in. Obviously pinks / blues / yellows get a bit lost, but same with the G5's in the blue spectrum. One thing you'll get with the G5's are better options in the whiter spectrum, especially with the pro, if whiter light is your jam.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, so I'm running some really old AI sol blues over my LPS tank. I'm not sure how old they are, since I bought them used. They do the job, since I just mostly run blues. I also have an orphek blue bar.

I am thinking about upgrading to some G5 radions. But will spending the money make any sense? Will the radions make my corals pop more? Or be better for growth? Again, it's just an LPS system with zoas and torches. What your opinion?

Seems few have "growth issues" with the Sols..
As to color.. Which colors? Visual or florescent do you feel is lacking??

OP
OP
T

tdam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Seems few have "growth issues" with the Sols..
As to color.. Which colors? Visual or florescent do you feel is lacking??

Not that I feel that it's lacking color, as I have always been a fan of the royal blue lighting. More like looking to enhance some colors. For example, I bought an hg torch which is lacking some yellow. It basically looks like a green torch. I didn't know if a better spectrum of colors might bring out some of the yellow. Just for the visual effect.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 43 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 155 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.1%
Back