Lighting Questions!

Manda0597

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning my wise ~Saltwater wise ;) ~ friends! I have a question (or 12)!

I have a 36 Gallon Bowfront tank that I bought at PetCo. It came stock with a plastic top with an LED white light built in. This aquarium top and light is the bane of my existence...

I believe I have found a glass top that will fit on my tank (maybe, as the tank is rimless on the top and I don't know how I'm going to secure it but that's another adventure). Now I need your help with lighting! It is a FOWLR (Fish Only With Live Rock) tank and will stay that way. I do not plan on having corals until I get a larger tank. The tank is 31.7 in across.

What is the best lighting? Do I only need white for Fish Only, or should I have blue lighting as well? My "Lighting schedule" is on when I get up, off when I go to sleep as the tank is in my bedroom. Budget around $100. These fish are breaking my bank as it is (If you know, you know.) Thank you!!

HOPE EVERYONE IS HAVING A FABULOUS MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND!!

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don’t plan on corals then the lights can be whatever color you like. The fish font need white, blue, green, red or any specific color.

what do you what for lights, do you want a built in timer? Do you want it to go into moonlight mode? Are you just looking for something that turns on and off with the flip of a switch?

something that has several bells and whistles, but not crazy is Current USA
Current USA Orbit Marine Aquarium LED Light

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a FOWLR, you don't need any particular wavelength/color of light :) Some enjoy the look of white only as it looks similar to freshwater tanks. Others do a mix of blue/white so it's a bit more pleasing to the eye. I would suggest for any light you're thinking about getting, you can always watch a youtube video to determine if you like the color temperature of that light (too blue, too white, too bright, etc.). For that sized tank, you should be able to pick up a light for way less than $100- think $20 to $50 new, less used.

OP
OP
Manda0597

Manda0597

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a FOWLR, you don't need any particular wavelength/color of light :) Some enjoy the look of white only as it looks similar to freshwater tanks. Others do a mix of blue/white so it's a bit more pleasing to the eye. I would suggest for any light you're thinking about getting, you can always watch a youtube video to determine if you like the color temperature of that light (too blue, too white, too bright, etc.). For that sized tank, you should be able to pick up a light for way less than $100- think $20 to $50 new, less used.
Cool, thank you!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%

Back