Lighting recommendations for a Fluval Flex 15

trinket

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received the Fluval Flex 15 as a gift, everything in setup went good, cycled perfectly except realized it was a freshwater kit. I did research and realized the lighting is inadequate and not meant to grow corals, which could explain why every coral and maybe now a anemone has died on me. :(

Thinking a aquaknight on amazon or something of the sort, but if anybody has better lighting that could be used to replace the stock light, it would be very appreciated. Ideal budget would be $100 or less.:)

tank dimensions are 16 x 15 x 15

aquaknight

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all welcome to Reef2Reef as this was your first post.
The aquaknight light should be able to keep soft corals and some LPS. There is not a lot of adjustment. There are several that use it and have had success. I think it just has two channels blue and white but the color is somewhat adjustable to your liking. What do you plan on keeping?

OP
OP
T

trinket

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all welcome to Reef2Reef as this was your first post.
The aquaknight light should be able to keep soft corals and some LPS. There is not a lot of adjustment. There are several that use it and have had success. I think it just has two channels blue and white but the color is somewhat adjustable to your liking. What do you plan on keeping?
Softies and LPS like hammer / frogspawn coral would only be corals I intend on keeping. I have a GSP, so far its not doing good.

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Softies and LPS like hammer / frogspawn coral would only be corals I intend on keeping. I have a GSP, so far its not doing good.Just not enough light spectrum. Look on Amazon there are a couple of the Chinese black box LED that are cheaper and work decently.
There are several lights on Amazon here is a link you can look and see what fits your budget just ask before purchasing.

OP
OP
T

trinket

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several lights on Amazon here is a link you can look and see what fits your budget just ask before purchasing.
Update:
I think I will go with
, it seems to be a decent mix between price and quality. The aquaknight wont ship for 1-3 weeks anyways.

Went to the LFS and purchased a firefish goby and some RO water, thankfully the tank already has a lid so goby can be safe until I get the new lid. I plan on getting a window screen lid, eggcrate seems to block out too much light.

If everything goes well the refractometer should by coming by Tuesday, and the light by Wendsday.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back