Lighting schedule and changing intensities over 24 hours

Nanocube1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers
Do any of you set light intensities throughout put the day so a sun rise through to sunset and moonlight?
Also as so many love the blue lighting and less white I've thought about increasing my whites just for an hour or two mid day.....this way I also get the best of both worlds of the blue light and a couple of hours a crisper clearer lighting.
I was also thinking of kinda making it go cloudy for a few minutes during the couple of hours of higher intensity.
Might sound a little anal but 1 I'd like to try replicate natural daylight or near as over a 24 hour lighting schedule and 2 I'm OCD and I can set 10 intensities throughout the day and need to do this hahaha
Just wanna know your thoughts and if you do anything similar
Peace ✌

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know this but I'll take a look
I use aqua illumination brand fixtures and the app that they connect to does sunrise and sunset, cloud cover, storms, lunar.
I run the David Saxby preset that spikes the intensities at peak hours.
So im sharing my thoughts cause i do something similar :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210529-082819_myAI.jpg
    Screenshot_20210529-082819_myAI.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 54
Upvote 0

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my day preset to different intensity. Slowly ramps up in the morning with whites only peaking mid day for a few hours, then everything slowly ramps down. So basically sunrise/mid-day/sunset then I have 10% moonlight for a few hours then goes to 5% moonlight then back to 10% before sunrise. Seems to work well but I tweak it rather often, changing the ratios of whites, blues and red/greens.. one day ill find the perfect combo. Probly tons if resources out there on the most natural way to do this but I havnt taken the time to look.

Upvote 0

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my day preset to different intensity. Slowly ramps up in the morning with whites only peaking mid day for a few hours, then everything slowly ramps down. So basically sunrise/mid-day/sunset then I have 10% moonlight for a few hours then goes to 5% moonlight then back to 10% before sunrise. Seems to work well but I tweak it rather often, changing the ratios of whites, blues and red/greens.. one day ill find the perfect combo. Probly tons if resources out there on the most natural way to do this but I havnt taken the time to look.

So you leave your lights on 24/7 albeit very low intensity over night?

Upvote 0

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moonlighting is highly debatable.
Most people recommend a photoperiod and then complete darkness. I guess light pollution is a real thing lol.
I use a lunar schedule so it follows the moon cycle. Different intensities until theres no moon and my tank goes dark.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Nanocube1

Nanocube1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So your tank is never in complete darkness?

Upvote 0

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moonlighting is highly debatable.
Most people recommend a photoperiod and then complete darkness. I guess light pollution is a real thing lol.
I use a lunar schedule so it follows the moon cycle. Different intensities until theres no moon and my tank goes dark.
I want to maybe try this out as well. I think it would be the most natural way to approach moonlighting

Upvote 0

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back