Lighting schedule

mraysberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to figure out the best lighting schedule for my tank. Currently I have my t5 hybrid turn on at 12 and the led goes on same time. They both turn off at 12 am. To me maybe it’s too much time. Should I have both running at same time from start? Should I lower amount of time for light? Maybe one can turn on later in day? Some

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beyond having at least 6 to 8 hours of midday, high intensity light so zooxanthellae in your coral can do photosynthesis, the rest is more about what you like to look at. Sunrise and sunset are OK, but your fish, coral and other inhabitants really don't much care. Twelve hours is OK, but watch for algae. Doing an hour of blue for sunrise and sunset would cut down the white algae growing light from 12 to 10 hours.

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What LED's are you using?

For most decent LED's you have a long and intense light cycle. 12 hours at full intensity is a lot. I would turn the t5's on first and then the LEDs 1-2 hours later. Then have the LEDs turn off 1-2 hours before the t5s. I would also shorten the photo period to 8-10 hours total.

I have my hydras on a VERY slow ramp up starting at 6 am. By 11am the lights are only at about 5% power. This is just so I can see in the tank better. From there they ramp for 3 hours to full intensity. After 3 hours they ramp down slowly until 10pm shut off.

steallife904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the key that helped me was getting the lights to the my highest intensity/power for 6 hours. So ramp up and ramp down are fine but keep power high for about 6 hours or in your case your LED % higher and T5s on for 6 hours. The other time they are on in that schedule just run the LEDs lower powered.

OP
OP
M

mraysberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to mention but the led I’m using is an ai prime hd. Maybe someone has a preset they can share with me they use at least the led

OP
OP
M

mraysberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mostly trying to get a new schedule is to combat the algae growing all over the glass and on the rocks a little. I had gha before but used vibrant plus cyano all at one time. Since then the cyano and gha has went away

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back