Lighting suggestions for 300DD 72x36x27 Thinking of going to LED/T5

JPS70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All. I posted on a different forum but this seems like the place to be !

I've been running lumen bright mini pendants with 3 x 250w radiums on magnetic ballasts.

The time has come to revisit my lighting options as I have just never had complete coverage being 36" wide. 72x36x27

I am also considering ditching my make shift canopy and just going with a hanging 3 x Aqautic Life 24" hybrid with kessil AP700's. The 300DD has 2 braces which give 3 openings to put lights so my thought was to use them front to back like this I-I-I

Heat and evaporation are main factors for wanting to go to a different light but I do also love the MH shimmer vs the t5's I had many years ago. The tank is in my office so I have to take the humidity out with a humidifier which creates heat then an over size mini split a/c to combat the heat from the dehumidifier!

It is mind-boggling looking back into this and would appreciate any suggestions for this wide tank.

I am mostly FOWLR ( with a massive amount of mushrooms that I need to get back under control) I doubt I will ever get too much into high-end corals but if spending this much I would want that option open.

Thanks!

Aardvark1134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use 6 smaller pucks of whatever brand you like in a 3x2 grid.
Or 2 groups 4xT5s 60 inch will also work. 4 across the front and 4 across the back.
Basically just treat the tank like its 2 tanks that are 6ft x18

OP
OP
J

JPS70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use 6 smaller pucks of whatever brand you like in a 3x2 grid.
Or 2 groups 4xT5s 60 inch will also work. 4 across the front and 4 across the back.
Basically just treat the tank like its 2 tanks that are 6ft x18
That's what I was afraid of. I waited till midnight to pre-order the G5 xr30blue and now I am thinking I need to change that and pre-order 6 xr15. Anything running across the tank lengthwise makes bad shadows due to the bracing. I am too deep into it to change tanks and I am not considering rebracing at this point.

acro-ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I've got a 300DD and have great results with an ATI 8xT5 + 3x Radion pro. Both are suspended from the ceiling on adjustable wires and the Radions are all mounted together on a suspended rail that is angled in a bit.

Frankly, though, it doesn't sound like you need that with your intentions. Based on what you said having fish and mushrooms I'd look at 6x Chinese black box and just save your money. You'll have perfectly fine results with that and it will look nice and run cool.

I agree that the Kessils will give you the shimmer that you like, but at a greatly increased expense.

OP
OP
J

JPS70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 300DD and have great results with an ATI 8xT5 + 3x Radion pro. Both are suspended from the ceiling on adjustable wires and the Radions are all mounted together on a suspended rail that is angled in a bit.

Frankly, though, it doesn't sound like you need that with your intentions. Based on what you said having fish and mushrooms I'd look at 6x Chinese black box and just save your money. You'll have perfectly fine results with that and it will look nice and run cool.

I agree that the Kessils will give you the shimmer that you like, but at a greatly increased expense.
great info. I am not looking to cut corners at all though so I don't mind paying for quality. Any pics of your mounting? I rigged a quick canopy for my MH that was supposed to be temporary and that was about 4 years ago lol.

I am definitely wanting to kill off the majority of my mushrooms to leave room for something else. What that something else is I just don't know yet. I have been in this hobby for 12 years, my first tank was a 150 then went to the 300 so many things have changed.

OP
OP
J

JPS70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up ordering 6x G5 Xr15 blue with the aquatic life t5 Hybrid fixture. Hopefully, that was a wise decision, I didn't want to be at the end of the waiting list. Now being that it is the Blue version I am not sure what to do with the T5 bulbs.

Aardvark1134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up ordering 6x G5 Xr15 blue with the aquatic life t5 Hybrid fixture. Hopefully, that was a wise decision, I didn't want to be at the end of the waiting list. Now being that it is the Blue version I am not sure what to do with the T5 bulbs.
Trade someone who has coral plus t5s or less blue t5s

OP
OP
J

JPS70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't order bulbs yet. I was unsure as to what I should get. I have blue plus and aquablue special in the cart. The realized that may be a lot of blue. I have been away from t5's for over 5 years.

OP
OP
J

JPS70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I am second-guessing myself. Would 6 G5 xr 30's be better or just do the 6 G5 xr 15's and if need be add another row in the middle for 9 total? I'll still have the 12x 24 t5's in the hybrid fixture as well. The tank with the supports is as mentioned 3 x 24x36

I really do not know what if or when I will do corals and that's not making this decision easy but it may open up a new world and give me more motivation.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 38 28.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 19.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back