Lighting suggestions for an AGA 65 gallon Reef ready tank...

Wbrian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All! I have an AGA 65 gal tank with the overflow column in the back left, but not fully to the corner, if you know what I mean. I only have 8" above the tank to the ceiling of where the tank is placed. (It's under the landing of my stairs)
I currently run 2Ocean Revive T247's, which are basically decent quality Chinese black boxes. I'm getting good growth in my SPS, but poor coloration. My softies do well, but Zoas tend to stay small and little to no growth.
I'm thinking of a lighting upgrade. Any suggestions? I think Kessils are out of the equation due to their height.

Thanks in advance!
WBrian

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could upgrade to some Ecotech Radions. You could put a 6 or 8 bulb T-5 fixture above it. You could put a longer SB Reef Light above it or two of the 16's. You could switch the light boards on the ones you have to SB Reef Light boards.

OP
OP
Wbrian

Wbrian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had T5s years ago. They were too hot for the space, and too difficult to change in the limited space...

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, well, buy some Radions or switch out the boards for SB Reef Lights.

OP
OP
Wbrian

Wbrian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could upgrade to some Ecotech Radions. You could put a 6 or 8 bulb T-5 fixture above it. You could put a longer SB Reef Light above it or two of the 16's. You could switch the light boards on the ones you have to SB Reef Light boards.
Do you think 2 Radion XR15s (1 on each side of the center brace) would be sufficient?

l8_apex_it

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have 8" above the tank to the ceiling of where the tank is placed. (It's under the landing of my stairs)
... I think Kessils are out of the equation due to their height.

Thanks in advance!
WBrian

Kessil states 5 to 7" for a 36" x 24" setup.

I have a 65 gallon as well and am seriously thinking about a Kessil AP700 or two Radion XR15W.

OP
OP
Wbrian

Wbrian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just don't think there's enough room for the kessils. I have a ceiling 8" above the tank. Gonna go with the XR15's ... Now gotta figure out how to convince the wife!

B.

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered an Orphek Atlantik v4 for my 65 gallon. Can’t wait for it to arrive

l8_apex_it

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just don't think there's enough room for the kessils. I have a ceiling 8" above the tank. Gonna go with the XR15's ... Now gotta figure out how to convince the wife!

B.
I know it sounds like I'm pushing Kessil's (I'm not) but you know there are two diffusers available (slight diffusion and major diffusion). So that will help as well since you are limited to 8". I think either way, you will need the diffuser from Kessil or Radion with the 8" clearance. I think I am limited to 10" which Kessil recommended the diffuser for my application. I was told by BulkReef that they would have the Radion diffuser in December.

I keep going back and forth. I was strongly leaning toward the Radion as I like the direct control through my Apex. I can shut them down if the tank gets hot or I need to do other tweaks. I am now leaning slightly toward the Kessil as I hear great things about the shimmer and no disco ball effect. Now if I get the Radion, I will definitely implement their diffuser as that will minimize the disco ball effect too. At the end of the day, I hear great things about both solutions.

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What factors helped you make the decision?
1) It covers 48 inches of space, not needing two radions... I was thinking about getting the best I could possibly get and 2 radion g4 pros for $1600+ was a tad too much for what I wanted...
2) The pictures / reviews I have heard /seen seem to outweigh a lot of competitors.
3) The ability to potentially upgrade to a LED+ T5 fixture ( @AquaticLifeProducts new fixture + the upcoming 24' brackets.
4) Customizability @maxwell is a great example of both amazing tank / customizing the led to fit one's specific needs.
5) @James Emory from @Orphek Answering all my questions and concerns in quick informative emails.

Back