Lighting upgrade help

219reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, first post after doing some reading on the forums.

I have a 60 gallon tank that is 30 long* 18 wide* and 25 tall. For now I have a fluval 3.0 marine light and I would like to upgrade.

In the tank I have a cleaner shrimp, pair of clowns, and a black hat basslet. Also have a rtba that is not doing so well and I'm thinking that it's the light. Also would like to try my hand at other corals once I get everything straighted out and would like to set myself up more long term.

I was looking at the NooPsyche K7 pro or a couple of minis. Not sure how those would work with the size of my tank, feel like it would either be to much or to little light. Was also looking at AI blade but open for suggestions.

OP
OP

219reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After doing some more research I'm thinking about going with a nicrew 150w light. Any concerns or tips I should know about? It's for a rimmed tank and it sounds like there has been some issues trying to attach it

Upvote 0

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're going Nicrew, I think you'd be better off to go with two of the 100s than a single 150 (or three of the 50s). The 150 is a powerful light, but it doesn't have enough spread for a 30" tank by itself unless you mount it way, way above the tank... and then you lose/waste a lot of that power.

Upvote 0
OP
OP

219reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep forgetting about the height of the lights to get the proper spread. I'm used to fluorescents and my LED strip. Thanks for bringing that up

Upvote 0

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep forgetting about the height of the lights to get the proper spread. I'm used to fluorescents and my LED strip. Thanks for bringing that up

I think a pair of the 100s or a trio of the 50s would get you much better coverage, and plenty of power for whatever you want to grow in there.

You didn't mention if the tank has a center brace. If it does, then a pair of 100s would be my choice.

Upvote 0

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back