Lighting upgrade

kmaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55 gal. saltwater tank. My lights are a Marineland , 48” led setup which sits on top of the tank. There are about 20 of the lamps which are burned out, and marineland does not offer replacement bulbs. I have live rock, and am looking to grow corals. I know there are different products out there, but am looking for some advice on what to get before I upgrade my lighting. Thanks.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The challenge with a 55g (I have one) is that they are long and narrow and it has a center brace making an odd number of lights a problem. One price-conscious possibility is (2) Noopsyche K7Pro2 lights (or comparable). This approach would not provide full end to end coverage but should allow you to grow many types of corals (and the ends can be used for lower light options). Good luck with whatever you choose!

Upvote 0

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55 gal. saltwater tank. My lights are a Marineland , 48” led setup which sits on top of the tank. There are about 20 of the lamps which are burned out, and marineland does not offer replacement bulbs. I have live rock, and am looking to grow corals. I know there are different products out there, but am looking for some advice on what to get before I upgrade my lighting. Thanks.
ATI Sunpower 6 bulbs is 13.4" That is what you need to solve your problems forever. You will have to choose between proven light with a simple plug n' play feature, or keep trying to adjust one of those LED fixtures and wasting time with a very high initial cost. Your tank is narrow enough to have so much shade using LEDs. Get the T5s.
Change the bulbs once a year and you will be glad to see your corals very healthy, growing and very colorful. Can't go wrong with T5s!

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 56.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.8%
Back