Lighting.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

SPotter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Adam, In your FAQ's you said that you are using LED's. Would you mind sharing which ones, photoperiod and intensity of the light?

Tony727

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think he is using the second gen reefbreeder photons at 100%

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hi there,

Yes indeed I am a big fan of the photons v1 and I really love the V2. have been seeing amazing things under my V2 now running about 2 months.

It all in the warm/neutrals! Logan has got it figured out.

Acroporaaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

Yes indeed I am a big fan of the photons v1 and I really love the V2. have been seeing amazing things under my V2 now running about 2 months.

What intensity are you running?

swk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

I agree on the warm whites. I used an exact replica of the photon from another company that used 14k cool whites, and they were garbage. They drove me to t5s

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

Adam, are you supplementing the LEDs with T5 or is it LED only?

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what do u think ur par is Adam I know u always say u blast ur corals with light and flow what does "blast" mean? Trying to set my tank up like urs so when I get my battle box it's the same blast

amps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope this isn't digging into 'trade secrets' too much by asking all these questions :)

I'm curious on the number of fixtures per tank. Are you running a single 48" fixture for a 48" tank, 36" for a 36", etc..? I guess it depends partially on the width of the tank (24" front to back requires one, 48" requires two).

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefbreeders only claims the Photon gives about 1000 PAR at the water surface....they don't specify, but I'm assuming that's using some kind of tank-mount where the light is relatively close to the tank.....6" or less, I'm guessing.

Let's say 6".

16" is almost 3x that high.

Unless I'm mistaken that tank isn't getting "blasted" at all...wouldn't that be around 150-300 PAR at the water surface?

OP
OP
SPotter

SPotter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lights are 13" awl abs running my lights at 60% (red, green, uv), 20% white and 90% blues my par at the surface is 700. 10" below water surface my par is 400 ish. Now this is using the biotek par meter that's not made for leds so my par numbers could off to the low side by as much as 25%. These are very powerful lights so start off low and gradually work your way up.

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really tempted to swap out my Kessil 360 for a 16" Photon V2 to see if I can work on those sps colors. That's my motivation for asking. ;)

OP
OP
SPotter

SPotter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I reluctantly gave up my mh's and switched to them on my 360g tank. I'm very happy with them so far....not to mention the savings on my electric bill! [emoji3]

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So what do u think ur par is Adam I know u always say u blast ur corals with light and flow what does "blast" mean? Trying to set my tank up like urs so when I get my battle box it's the same blast

Reefbreeders only claims the Photon gives about 1000 PAR at the water surface....they don't specify, but I'm assuming that's using some kind of tank-mount where the light is relatively close to the tank.....6" or less, I'm guessing.

Let's say 6".

16" is almost 3x that high.

Unless I'm mistaken that tank isn't getting "blasted" at all...wouldn't that be around 150-300 PAR at the water surface?

Hey Justin,

By "Blasted" I simply mean that everything I have is kept in shallow tanks, so there is very little variation in intensity over all, as one would have in a display tank deeper than 12 inches. And you can imagine its difficult to give specific placement guidelines other than explaining that my stuff getting "blasted".

Having said that, I generally measure par at 600-1200 at the surface as a general standard throughout the systems, and do not bother with measuring under the water at all. The reef breeders deliver about 800 par at roughly 16" off surface, running 100% all channels. (2 or 6)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back