LIGHTING

Fishboy&crazycatfishlady

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My next purchase for my 55 gallon setup is going to be lighting. As with most, I’m on a budget. Been looking a lot into the Orbit Marine LED system. I know with this I’m not going to be able to grow certain corals, but I’m a newbie to the reef world so that’s okay with me! This is going to be a Christmas present for my daughter, so we will be raising/stocking with hardier life forms. I know she will love all the “cool” features that system has, such as the weather and sunrise sunset settings. Their LOOP system really caught my eye also, and if I went with this light, based off some knowledgeable answers from you great people, I’m sure I’d go with the Current eflux wave makers also.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Current Marine LED lighting system on my QT tanks. Plenty of light for a shallow tank. I also recently installed their Wave Maker system in my 90 display tank. Works pretty well. Lots of power. The preprogrammed modes are very handy to use. I like it. Highly recommend these two products. Cheers.

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this is a hobby you plan to keep for a while, I'd highly suggest shelling out the extra money now. This prevents you buying the Orbit now, and something else later on. There are a ton of cheap alternatives out there https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is_s?k=165+watt+led

Lol, my addiction started out as a "tank for my daughter" too...

OP
OP
Fishboy&crazycatfishlady

Fishboy&crazycatfishlady

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this is a hobby you plan to keep for a while, I'd highly suggest shelling out the extra money now. This prevents you buying the Orbit now, and something else later on. There are a ton of cheap alternatives out there https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is_s?k=165+watt+led

Anything specific you’d recommend? I was looking into the Viparspectra 165w LED also. I also considered adding 2 T5s retro kit under the hood I’m building, if the orbit marine wouldn’t fully be up to the task. Or is that not even worth it? I see lots of combination light systems, but I’m sure there’s more of a science to it besides me liking the Orbits cooler features lol

Yeahhhh, I’m really hoping she shares this gift! HAHA

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything specific you’d recommend? I was looking into the Viparspectra 165w LED also. I also considered adding 2 T5s retro kit under the hood I’m building, if the orbit marine wouldn’t fully be up to the task. Or is that not even worth it? I see lots of combination light systems, but I’m sure there’s more of a science to it besides me liking the Orbits cooler features lol

Yeahhhh, I’m really hoping she shares this gift! HAHA
Do you mind sharing your budget? It would help significantly in making suggestions.

As far as the Orbit Pros go, they simply don't have the punch (PAR/PUR output) that a lot of the other lights have. I've heard they will grow coral, but have honestly heard more bad than good.

OP
OP
Fishboy&crazycatfishlady

Fishboy&crazycatfishlady

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mind sharing your budget? It would help significantly in making suggestions.

As far as the Orbit Pros go, they simply don't have the punch (PAR/PUR output) that a lot of the other lights have. I've heard they will grow coral, but have honestly heard more bad than good.

I’d like to stay under $200

CamG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about a Prime HD ?
I have done some research online and also got a chance to see them running in the store and really like them.
I am picking one up this week.

CamG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have mentioned that it comes wifi ready out of the box so you can adjust it from your phone.
I am sure that will be a cool feature to your daughter

OP
OP
Fishboy&crazycatfishlady

Fishboy&crazycatfishlady

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about a Prime HD ?
I have done some research online and also got a chance to see them running in the store and really like them.

I really liked that one, hoped to even get it. But I’m setting up a 55 gal, it’s 48 long Id need 2 lights and that’s out of my budget

nfrench2100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally like my Current Marine Orbit Pros. I keep some LPS and softies and have had zero problems with too much/little lighting for them. Some think the programming is hard but I found it very easy to program. It even comes with 4 preset schedules that are nice. I didn’t want to spend too much, but also not cheap out, and found these to be my best bet. I have the 24” fixture as well as the mounting arm and it cost me $169.00 on Amazon. I would recommend them. Good luck!

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fully lighting a 48" tank with a light with cool features would be difficult for 200. I knew that I wanted to stick with this hobby for a while, so only half my tank was lit for the first six months until I could afford another light. If you're ok with the possibility of needing to upgrade down the road/being restricted on what you can have in the tank then I'd say go for the orbit (have you been referring to the original Orbit or the Orbit Pros?). It does have great controlability and they seem to make quality product (I use one of their lights on my freshwater).

OP
OP
Fishboy&crazycatfishlady

Fishboy&crazycatfishlady

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fully lighting a 48" tank with a light with cool features would be difficult for 200. I knew that I wanted to stick with this hobby for a while, so only half my tank was lit for the first six months until I could afford another light. If you're ok with the possibility of needing to upgrade down the road/being restricted on what you can have in the tank then I'd say go for the orbit (have you been referring to the original Orbit or the Orbit Pros?). It does have great controlability and they seem to make quality product (I use one of their lights on my freshwater).

Been looking at the pros, was considering running their wave makers also on their LOOP system. Actually it’s the Orbit IC

Last edited:

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been looking at the pros, was considering running their wave makers also on their LOOP system. Actually it’s the Orbit IC
I don't have any experience with their wave makersnor return pumps, so I can't give an honest opinion on that. What types of coral are you hoping to keep?

Amps Reef Life

That Fish Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Exactly this save yourself money now. Buy something that will last you. When I first started I bought cheap and end up replacing the light a few times. Wish someone would have told me to buy a nice light because you'll want or need it eventually.

How about a Prime HD ?

This is amazing light! I highly recommend and you can control it from your phone with an app. I have owned three of these so far. I currently own there 26 and 52 models also. Love em.

OP
OP
Fishboy&crazycatfishlady

Fishboy&crazycatfishlady

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any experience with their wave makersnor return pumps, so I can't give an honest opinion on that. What types of coral are you hoping to keep?

To be honest, I’ve just been looking into their needs and care levels on Live Aquaria picking out from the “beginners” list they have compiled sticking with what needs medium lighting and needs. Mushrooms, some tree corals, softies pack

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest, I’ve just been looking into their needs and care levels on Live Aquaria picking out from the “beginners” list they have compiled sticking with what needs medium lighting and needs. Mushrooms, some tree corals, softies pack
Most softies (leathers, mushrooms, zoas/palys, etc...) are relatively easy to keep. The marine orbit may satisfy lighting needs. You may want to consider getting the smaller, but more powerful orbit pro, and scape your tank around the light.

Either way, keep us updated with lots of pictures! :)

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 167 72.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back